Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Isfahan silk wool 5X8
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 2:05:14 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

This rug is to be reposted at a lower buy it now price.
It is a local rug so I assume I will be able to personally see it.
The story I'm told is he rug is being sold by someone else for an elderly gentlemen leaving for Asia.

Thanks,
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

fredgrower Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 3:30:39 PM(UTC)

you're lucky I'm not in need of another rug...looks lovely & price seems right for the size...but, what do I know?
bukhara Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 4:26:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

Nice rug!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 9:11:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

nice piece. price doesn't seem too unappealing either.
btuma6 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 11:32:30 PM(UTC)

Thanks for your help and comments. I didn't know if the knot count was a little low I know the higher the better, but I didn's know if a little bigger like this rug should still have the 600kpsi.

I'm having problems attaching files as they are giving an error message when uploading

Is 256kpsi too low for a silk on silk Qum?

Thanks
fredgrower Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:02:57 AM(UTC)

Did you notice the seller reposted the rug at a higher (not reduced) price...must have noticed a lot of 'traffic' looking at the listing (or found this site). Oops, I realized he switched it to 'free shipping' so the price did go down about $25...
KAD Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:14:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Really nice rug, great price also - if you want to buy this rug today in Iran, you pay a lot more. Description is correct, made early 1980`s, very good wool and silk. A lot better than the cheap Isfahan rugs made in the last years. When bought in 1988, the price was at least 7000 - 10000 USD.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:17:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

btuma6 Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:30:38 AM(UTC)

Thanks for all your comments. I am going to wind up fooling around and someone is going to grab it like Fredggrower did that 1960s Isfahan for $1,200. Originally the seller said it was going to relist it at a lower "buy now" price

My bottom line is do I need another rug over a $1,500. The evil side of me "buy it, you need it and it's a really good price." The good side says "hey you need to retire some day, save you money".

My other problems is buying lesser rugs rather than waiting for the "good one" It's easier to buy the $270 rug I have attached, but I then have 3 or 4 lesser rugs' than the great one.

An example is a rug I bought just before I saw the isfahan, and now I don't know if I should send it back or not.
The rug looked amazing for the price, but I have said that before and found I was wrong.

I had tried to post this rug on earlier, but now I have it attached. Is it a silk on silk Qum?
The thing that worried me about this suppossedly silk on silk Iranian rug is the low knot count for a silk rug and the white major border which is very simple. I only paid $270 for it, but I can send it back and put the money towards the isfahan.

KAD mentioned the quality silk on wool of the isfahan. Is this silk, maysilk rug, your example of a new rug with less quality?
btuma6 attached the following image(s):
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
fredgrower Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:24:42 AM(UTC)

Here's what I'd do (but you know I'm partial to Isfahans on silk foundations). Send back the $270 rug, sell all others that are not worth more than ~ $1,000. Buy the nice rug. Buy 'cleaning out' your collection of cheaper, lesser quality rugs, you can free the space for the nicer one and it would be easier to make sure no bugs are moving in (as my biggest worry). Of course, that's what I did, just bought the expensive ones, have them displayed, and moved out the ones I didn't have the room for. This makes cleaning/inspecting and vacuuming easier...no stacks or rolled up rugs...but my home still looks like a rug shop!!
btuma6 Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:35:50 AM(UTC)

I agree with everything you have to say except which ones to get rid of. I currently have some very highly quality rugs depending and the room and need. The rug I have attached would be another one for my wall.

If it is silk on silk and as nice as the picture looks I'll be wanting it on the wall also.
To me it is also a matter of where a rug will fit and colors, plus the over all question, "do I need another rug"

What do you think of the attached silk on silk rug?

As soon as I get home I'm going to meet with the person with the isfahan rug

Thanks
KAD Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 3:25:24 AM(UTC)

The Isfahan is silk warp, kurkwool pile, maybe some silk highlights around the design elements - this will how after a wash. The other rug is not a qum, it is a chinese copy made of other materials than (mulberry) silk. Usually they are made of artifical silk or spun silk, which is the cut off rest of natural silk. I would send back the chinese and take the persian Isfahan.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

btuma6 Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 6:59:46 AM(UTC)

Thanks KAD, as soon as I read you post I began to make steps to do exactly that. Also thanks RugRag since this interchange has demonstrated the value of this site.
Little-Persia Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 7:06:24 AM(UTC)

Really nice rug, good luck getting it. It's an excellent price for a private buy, it would be difficult as a dealer to better that price buying in Iran these days.

I'd (almost) always say if you're buying a rug with investment in mind the higher quality (normally high price) rugs are what people should look at. Lower quality rugs will always be made so will never really go up in value, many will go down. But a rug like this that they don't make many like anymore as it's too expensive to pay the labour will only go up in value.
fredgrower Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 5:02:01 PM(UTC)

btuma6, did you get this rug or not? Did you ever go see it? Or did you have a change of heart? (Saw the ebay listing ended without any bids). Just curious.
btuma6 Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:55:44 PM(UTC)

I am buying it locally. I haven't seen it yet, and the only difficultly is a somewhat unclear story of one person selling it for anoother older gentlemen who want to move to Asia.

As long as I can see it and know everything is legitimate I will get it and leave pictures. It is another rug of "too good of an opportunity to have a great rug to pass up" rather than I really need that rug for a specific purpose.