Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

$40,000 rug on ebay?? wow wow weeeeewow!
APerkins Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:53:53 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

What's the deal with this rug...is it a good deal or bad deal? http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

APerkins Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:07:37 PM(UTC)

Also, wanted to aks whether the weaver they mentioned affect the price? Name is Tafshanjian. AP
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 5:55:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello AP

The rug you are requesting feedback on is a very, very large piece and could very well be worth every bit of $40,000 and maybe even more (or even less.) According to the seller the rug being offered is in "perfect condition." The problem with this, however, is that from rug person to rug person, "perfect condition" can mean anything from "looks great for its age" to "it is in perfect condition." There is no set standard.

Here is an assessment:

Regarding the signature - while this may or may not be a "Tafshanjian" signature, in most cases, a signature will do little more than reinforcing a place and time the rug was woven. There are rare instances however, when specific signatures help attribute the piece to a rare workshop or particularly exceptional quality standard of importation which may have an affect on value.

Reviewing the quality of the wool is not something we can do over the internet very easily, but there is a good chance this could be of a finer quality. Although the rug looks to be in great shape, we cannot tell without very close up photos either. The carpet has a significant amount of pink overtone, and also features heavy inscriptions in a banner around the double mihrabs of the carpet within the field. These are the only two things the rug has going "against it." In other words, although the rug may have a high value for what it is, the design and overtone may make it a tough sell - you may have bargaining room with this rug.

Inquire further specifically regarding condition. If you are serious, let the seller know this to be the case. It will encourage a more accurate overview of the rug - maybe even let him know you are interested in visiting the piece. Although the seller states the rug could be in perfect condition (and it very well could be) make sure to ask if the rug...

1 appears to have ever been used or low areas
2 has any color run
3 has moth damage, areas of missing pile, repairs, dry rot or other
4 has any matting or blooming of the wool

Finally, if the rug passes all the above, go visit it in person prior to purchasing. You want to make sure the rug has been described 100% accurately, and even smell the rug to make sure there is no unusual odor. There are certain aspects of rug wear which one cannot tell unless good photographs has been produced to see these things. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a carpet that shows signs of use: but there is something wrong in paying an amount which is supposed to purchase a rug in perfect condition, and finding it has been used.

Helpful Links:

http://rugrag.com/post/Authentic--Signed.aspx
http://rugrag.com/post/Pile-Height.aspx
http://rugrag.com/post/Color-run-.aspx
http://rugrag.com/post/Condition.aspx
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
RugMan Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 11:51:47 AM(UTC)

That is a nice rug. I figure its a good deal. The appraisal tool on rugrags detailed quote said 45000 going by the typical kashan kpsi of around 180....

http://www.RugRag.com/Ap...-4E53-8DE1-805A11F2CDFA

let me know if you guys see other, I think its a good deal but would never call a rug as excellent condition without seeing it. it does look like it has a little of that blooming in one of the close up pics.

one of the really nice things about this piece is the double mehrab as cloudband says. and of course, I saw a ton of cloudbands in the blue field of it.
RugMan attached the following image(s):
Large Kashan.JPG
cloudband Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 11:59:03 AM(UTC)

RugMan,

I agree, it really is a beautiful piece. Assessing design flow and mapping, the rug has does have excellent design execution. Overall, it appears to be a solid rug, and to photograph it in the sunlight shows confidence on the sellers behalf, although you have to admit with a dark background as this rug features, it's tough to really assess the traffic wear.

I took a look at your appraisal, and agree the rug is probably not from 1910 as the seller states. The rug is probably more along the vintage of post WW1. Dark colors seemed to be very prevalent during this time - I would date the rug somewhere in the vicinity of 1920's. Also, although the appraisal tool has a selection for Mohtasham Kashan, I would not consider this to be of that type as the seller alludes. Mohtashem Kashans tend to have a higher contrast and are of older vintage. On the other hand, I would not necessarily dispute the idea that Manchester wool was used for this piece, as the wool does seem to have a higher luster implying a superior wool, or at the very least, some type of luster wash. KPSI estimate around 180 is probably fair, although it could even be slightly higher. The rug does appear to have a tight, even weave. At retail, if the rug is in good condition with lower than normal pile with blooming tips of the wool (does happen even from a simple washing) I would guess a retail price of around $45,000 to be just about at what one would consider a "fair retail market price." Again, the colors don't necessarily detract from the value, although the heavy pink overtone could give you slight leverage during negotiation.

Consider the area this seller is located - he's from PA and is an online seller, which in the scope of things, would dictate a slightly lower than normal retail price anyway.

AP - if the rug fits in the intended area, and you are serious about purchasing, it would be worth a trip to see it in person.
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
Tabriz Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 5:38:55 AM(UTC)

I emailed the guy, he said he knows the date it was imported to the US from paperwork. I asked on knot count, so he put a quarter on the back of the rug to show kpsi of 182. Counted 14x13
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 1:12:41 PM(UTC)

The name claim of signature is accurate I checked with my Farsi speaking associate, although he said it looks to be spelled right and he said the rug may not be kashan... nevertheless, nice piece. I agree a little too much pink