Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Newbie who likes Kashan, Tabriz, and Bokhara carpets
DiderotsGhost Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 9:21:49 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello, all. I am new to the forum and to the world of fine carpets.

I recently decided I needed an area rug and starting looking into all the options. My options as I saw it were (1) cheapie synthetic rugs, (2) authentic hand-knotted carpets I might be able to find for a discount online, and (3) visiting an oriental carpet stores in person. As I've started researching finer rugs, I have become infatuated and now I am here. I have still yet to purchase my first carpet, but hopefully, I will within the next month.

I have found that I tend to like Kashan, Sarouk, Tabriz, and Bokhara carpets. From what I can gather, I have the most options on eBay, but I don't like the inability to see the rugs in person. Not sure if there is a list of reputable eBay sellers anywhere or not. I have tried Craig's List and had limited luck. Aside from that, I have found a fantastic wholesaler in my area, Herat Oriental. I may end up purchasing a carpet there.

My main goal is to learn as much about the carpets as possible and be able to accurately come up with ballpark valuations. The latter is particularly important to me because a lot of my work has to do with valuation, only with equities and other assets, rather than carpets. All the same, being a valuation-person, it becomes an obsession to me to accurately gauge the market value of something.

Aside from my interest in carpets, I work in investment management.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

huruburu Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:50:41 AM(UTC)

Welcome! You will get brilliant support here on the forum, both in current threads and the archives. You can search with keywords, it's a terrific function.
There are several discussions about eBay.
Seems to me you have several strikes in your favor.
First, Herat Oriental is nearby! This must be a truly magnificent resource, in terms of education, enjoyment, advice and purchase.
Secondly, you're already astute in terms of everything having its value, and that being accessible to nailing down.
I'm pretty new here too, and have found it a tremendous resource. You don't mention money, that is one of my principal limitations. Even that can be softened, however. Another thing I'll say is that interacting with members is broadening my taste!
Keeps us posted! I'll be looking forward to seeing that first baby! Hope you share the search with us too.
On eBay and Craigslist: In my experience and area, there are a lot more rugs on eBay. I have started to use eBay to look for sellers as much as rugs, i.e., I research the seller on toolhaus.org, also here in the forum, maybe buy something small or correspond. Now I have a list of sellers whose inventory I can browse. Of the 4 transactions I've had so far, two I would do business again with; one I wouldn't even look at their rugs, and one I would hesitate before buying from again.
You can also post photos here, before purchase, and ask for opinions; or use the rug valuation tool on rugrag.com, or get a full report for a small fee.
I like Craigslist a lot but, in my location, there are few rugs. But I like it because it is local, and gets me traveling all over my (very small) state, and brings me into contact with people, some of whom are craftsmen and artisans, and many of whom have interesting stories to tell!
My ideal buying scenario would probably be a warehouse rug store! I have two good rug stores in my area where I can go and faint, blissed out on color and the smell of wool. But the prices make me faint too, even though they are negotiable, and not really outlandish. I just don't have much disposable income.
Good luck in particular with your Kashan search; I am searching for a 9 X 12 medallion kashan, with a navy field, and good blues.
I have tried to get Kashan / Ardakan discussions going here without success! There is one old thread about kashans, you can find it by using the search function. In your kashan search, I will benefit from your questions and observations.
DiderotsGhost Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:01:32 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the welcome.

Money is the principal limitation for me, as well. For that matter, I assume it is with everyone! For me, I have the money to buy a reasonably good carpet, but because I am getting ready to get my MBA, I am reluctant to depart with much of it --- mostly because I won't have steady income over the next two years and don't have a job lined up after that. For now, prospects seem good, but things have a way of changing very quickly in this economy.

I initially didn't want to spend more than $500, but now that I'm deeper into this, guess I'm setting my upper limit at $1000. But I'd rather keep around $600 - $800 if possible. Once I have more income stability, maybe I'll buy something nice :)

I am quite fortunate in that I live in the DC area, where there are a ton of dealers.

8 X 12 / 9 X 12 medallion kashans seems like one of my top options, too, but the more I look around, the more my tastes expand, which is good. My greatest fear right now is that I do have people over for wine frequently; I'd hate to see wine spilled on a $800 carpet. Which almost makes me more reluctant to buy the lighter colored ones due to the greater difficulty in cleaning.
huruburu Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:55:27 AM(UTC)

Sounds like you have your priorities right! You should be able to find rugs you will really enjoy in that price range.
Also something for your friends to feast their eyes and toes on, while feasting their palates + consciousness on wine!
jeff Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:27:06 PM(UTC)

my name is Jeff.I've been in the rug business for about 20 yrs.Each day with rugs,I find more fascinating than the next.I have a passion for for all types of rugs.If anyone has a topic to talk about ,please contact me