Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7X5 unused Kashan, hopefully my last rug
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:22:51 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

To my surprise I have been given a second chance to buy this rug for $550. It was originally a buy now for $1,150.

It looks like a great rug, but I have vowed to quit buying rugs (as soon as i say that there is one last older rug I am looking at). It is my serious intent that this or maybe the older rugs are the last rug I bring to this forum.

If I pass now will it be hard to find another rug of this quality for this price, or is this just a new rug that doesn't have the quality of an olderr kashon?

Thanks for any comments

http://rover.ebay.com/ro...es%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

huruburu Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:45:19 PM(UTC)

I wonder did you buy it? I'm interested in Kashans too, though larger. This doesn't seem to have a high knot count, is that so?
I like the birdies. If it is yours, enjoy!
Huru
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:52:36 PM(UTC)

No I have not yet purchased it. I agree with knot count, and it also looks like the knots aren't that well executed, but I might be wrong and that is why I am asking before I buy.
bukhara Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:37:21 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

not persian, made in India or Pakistan
KAD Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:52:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

It is indian, shine washed, no good wool.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

btuma6 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:34:02 PM(UTC)

The two people I would trust to know the most have just saved me from buying a bad rug as my last rug. Thank's both of you. Hopefully I will be asking you about that one last older rug and getting a much better rug. Your both have just shown why this site is important.
nmiesen Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:03:49 PM(UTC)

Three comments
1. Look at the seller's feedback. This seller has 98.5% rating and his comments to people who leave him bad feedback are off putting.
2. He describes the rug as "classic KASHAN ancient dense pattern". Anytime a seller uses "design" in his description they are in essence telling you that this isn't the real thing, ie not an Iranian rug made in Kashan.
3. When you look at the picture with the ruler showing the close up of the knots, the knots shown are all in pairs. It is likely this is a single wefted rug with 9 knots per linear inch, not 18 knots. Therefore the knot count is about 81 kpsi, not the 200+ kpsi claimed by the seller. Finally, although it is hard to see for sure, but it looks like this wool is triple ply, meaning the knots are huge.
btuma6 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 6:11:44 PM(UTC)

These are the reason I didn't buy the rug on impulse. The close up also shows very rough threads which is why I believe is why KAD said it was very poor wool.
The rug was referred to as Persian Kashan which usually isn't used when works like Kasan design are used. sI knew if it wasn't Iranian I could return it no matter what they said about no return.
Let me simply say the seller didn't object when I said the rug was not as described and I would not be purchasing. They merely said 'I'm sorry for your time"
I'm a rug junkie. I have bought some very fine rugs, and I have tried to buy diamonds in the rug that were merely lumps of coal. Now I am going to enjoy the rugs I have.
However, there is that one last rug that I am very excited about. I know that sounds like a gambling addict that just wants one last throw of the dice, but hey, this addiction has brough a lot of enjoyment and that enjoyment will continue as I enjoy my rugs
fredgrower Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:22:27 PM(UTC)

Why stop now? Just sell some of the 'lumps of coal' and keep searching for a diamond...or buy your wife a diamond and maybe she will forgive you for your rug addiction!