Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Need Some Advice Please
jesse88 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 5:53:50 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I'm in the market for an oriental rug ($4,000-$5,000 range) and in my area there are only two stores. One carries Turkish and the other carries Indian. I find I like the patterns in the Indian rugs better, but I believe the Turkish rug is a better quality (and $1,000 more). All are hand knotted. One Turkish rug has a lazy line which bothers me, but I've been told it's not really a defect. The Indian rugs all are much stiffer than the Turkish and I wonder if it will be subject to cracking over the years. I'm not really looking for an heirloom quality rug, I just want one of good quality overall. Should I be staying away from the Indian rugs? What is the general consensus with regard to their quality?

Thank you so much for your help. I've done some reading but I also find it very helpful to get information from forums as well.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2011 4:26:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

You get a whole range of qualities in rugs from any country. I find it strange that the rug shops in your area only stock rugs from one country, I've never come across that apart from maybe a few who only stock Persian rugs.

Indian rugs can really range in quality from mass produced low quality to really top pieces. At your price range you should be able to get some really solid pieces which are quite fine and similar to Persian in design. They do tend to be stiffer than other rugs I've come across but I think a lot of this has to do with them being a bit thicker than your average knotted rug. What effect this will have on their longevity I have no idea - I'd imagine there'd be pros and cons.

What kind of rugs are you looking at? (Designs or names?)
jesse88 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:16:58 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your response! It's good to know that I can consider the Indian rugs. They have more of the design that I prefer. I really couldn't tell you the names of what I like...I just know it when I see it. My problem is I need to stay more in the green color family and the Turkish rugs don't use that color much. As for the stores themselves, one is owned by a Turkish family and the other an Indian family so that may explain why they limit their stock. Now that I think of it, I believe he also carries Persian rugs, but they are not in my price range. The Turkish owner also told me (not surprisingly) that Indian carpets are inferior in quality. I'm still researching that part about the stiffness, as that is a concern. Thank you again for taking the time to educate me.
Rugfirm Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 11:32:05 AM(UTC)

As Little-Persia explained, there are many different qualities of hand knotted rugs no matter what the country of origin may be. With your budget, you should be able to get a high quality rug be it Persian, Indian, or Turkish. Generally speaking, there are more Turkish rugs with higher qualities than there are Indian. However, Persian rugs would be a better investment. Selecting the right rug takes time and requires patience. Good luck to you.
jesse88 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 2:38:14 PM(UTC)

Rugfirm, thank you for your post. I have run out of stores to look in my area so will be headed to Greenville, SC ASAP. Hopefully, I will find something beautiful and the information I have received on this forum will be very helpful.