Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

knot count + value
huruburu2 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:40:18 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello everyone, I've been in search of a 9 X 12 traditional low-cost navy field medallion kashan design rug with 144+ kpsi for a year or two. Some of you know (too much already!) about my search. I hoped to have come to a successful conclusion this week when I bought (online dealer, not eBay) an 8 X 12 rug, listed as 20-30 years old, made in Kashan, hand-spun wool, 158 kpsi. As 158 seems an unusual number (though this dealer has a lot of rugs with 158 kpsi) and followed it up by phone but was assured kpsi was accurately stated. The rug arrived this morning and looks to be about 121 kpsi (photos attached). Am I counting accurately? What do you think the likely value of the rug is? I haven't noticed other issues as yet and the wool is soft and the pile quite good. I paid $1250. I'd be grateful for advice.
huruburu2 attached the following image(s):
8X12kashan2.jpg
8X12kashan3.jpg
8X12kashan.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Little-Persia Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:31:00 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

It looks to me more like a 110KPSI (10/11) but I'm not sure of the measurements of a US Quarter.

Going by that it's almost certainly an Ardakan rather than a Kashan. I don't know if he's been unknowingly counting 2 ply wool as 2 knots vertically or if he's been counting the wefts as knots or intentionally mis-leading you.

Is there a reason you have specifically been looking for a Kashan? How does the rug look (since that is first and foremost the important thing)?

For a rug that size I would say it's a good price - you couldn't get anything Persian in good condition for even double that in the UK at retail. Obviously private buys and auctions are a totally different ballgame but even still it's a lot of rug for the money.
huruburu2 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:17:27 PM(UTC)

Thank you very much, Little Persia. I have posted some additional photos in case any one else cares to comment. My impression of this dealer is that basically things are good: customer service phone contact is good, shipping was good, the rug is straight and regular. It's just the matter of the kpsi (it's also a matter of a cat!). The reason I want a Kashan design is because I got a Craigslist rug a year ago for this space (a library in my bare bones Victorian house)and it looked good. I returned that rug because it had been shortened and have since been looking for a replacement. I guess I'm trying to set things straight.
huruburu2 attached the following image(s):
design.jpg
fringe.jpg
whole-rug.jpg
heart.jpg
KAD Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 6:36:10 AM(UTC)

Agree with little-persia, rug looks good, is Ardakan, price is ok.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

Rugfirm Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:59:54 PM(UTC)

I really do not understand all this emphasis on KPSI. A very coarse rug can still be very valuable because of other attributes. For the size, the price is reasonable, and it is a Kashan. Colors are not perfect, but if this is what you have been looking for, then enjoy it.
huruburu2 Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:57:31 PM(UTC)

The reason for the emphasis on kpsi, in my case, is a cat. This rug replaced a previous rug of the same pattern and colors but 100 kpsi. Unfortunately my cat could pull the wool out. I notice he can pull threads out of rugs less than 140, even a new rug, but not rugs with higher kpsi.
Little-Persia Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 7:31:21 AM(UTC)

Interesting reason for looking at KPSI... I have cats and they never really scratch or tear up the furniture thankfully, they've been brought up from kittens to only scratch the climbing/scratching frame but I'd imagine it could be a problem.

I'd have thought a lot of cats will got for the more knobbly hand-spun wool, something they can easily get their claws in to. Most Persians like Ardekans and Kashans would have a smooth even surface so wouldn't be as much of a problem as other rugs with more textured wool.
huruburu2 Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 9:51:23 PM(UTC)

Well Little Persia I've often found myself wondering why I have this particular cat; he was abandoned and a student asked me if I would take him .... The solution is to get his nails trimmed every month, I'm afraid to do it (he's not the most relaxed cat in the world). If his nails grow, I see marks and sometimes whole strands pulled out. Grrrrr.