Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is it?
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 7:22:14 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I picked this rug up at a flea-market for $50...does it at least hold that value? it's 2x3' and i think the pictures tell the rest of the story. please let me know what it is. again, i love this forum.
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
Small-Red-Overall.jpg
Small-Red-Corner.jpg
Small-Red-Back.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 7:36:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

:d/ Glad to hear you love the forum. Great find, absolutely worth the $50 to say the least. 440 Kpsi or so... real nice hand knotted rug.

To me, I think I can say with most certainty this is a Iranian rug. It was probably made sometime in the 1960-70's or so, the colors and design are indicative of this. Objectively speaking, the only thing that's not great about this little piece is the design does not appear to be well suited for the quality being used in certain areas. That is to say, the knot count is way higher than necessary to be to express certain design elements such as the medallion outline.

Nevertheless, this is a rug which would hold it's value, especially given you've purchased it for such a bargain. Depending on the quality of wool, usually a rug like this, if in decent condition, would be in the $200-300 range retail. Very good condition, maybe $325-475. In excellent/mint condition, if the rug had been kept rolled up since new, unused, it could be worth substantially more. Although this rug appears to be in great shape, I'm not sure if I would say it's in mint, although I'd have to see more photographs. If there is a problem with the fringe, this would adversely affect value.

I think this is probably an Isfahan going by both design, quality, weft color (light blue) and look of the fringe. The way in which the fringe has been strung and then woven into a kilim is typical of an Isfahan rug. Very often, rugs have this kilim woven before the fringe, but each area has it's "signature" style of doing so. Isfahan so far as I can see for this little piece...

Enjoy the rug, hang onto it, in another 5-10 years it would be safe to a call semi-antique.

Tell us a little more about how you got it? Did the person have a couple of rugs? Does the fringe feel silky? It appears to be so...
mosaic08 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:04:16 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

...wow, sounds good, thanks for the description and boy i'm glad i bought it. the lady i got it from had several rugs of all different sizes/styles...most were more geometric in nature but a couple of floral type rugs like this, which are the kind of more fond of... anyway, she listed it for $75 and i got it for $50... i wouldn't say she had a lot of knowledge, she just had a lot of rugs...and there was a story of her husband having all these rugs to start an oriental rug store, but they got divorced and she got most of the rugs in the settlement... i really didn't care about the story, just this rug. it looked like good quality so i took it...

...and yes, the fringe is intact on both sides and does feel silky...i think there is a bit of color-run from the reds onto the weft/beginning of the fringe... also, there are leather strips on each side of the rug on the back, which are i am assuming to protect the edges, correct? i will take some more photos when i go to my parents next... i actually ended up giving the rug to my dad since he said he had always wanted one and i thought this was perfect sized because my mom is not to fond of them!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:10:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Interesting story. Again, this is a great example of a really good buy.

right, the leathery strips are often applied to add weight to the edges of the rug to keep it flat on the floor, or sometimes are applied to keep the rug from curling (somewhat of a more unusual circumstance.)

The fringe may very well be silk as you say, to counteract the color run which I did not see, I would say the values still hold true for the most part. Obviously if the color run is there, the rug cannot be considered in excellent condition unless all else is perfect.

I cannot understand why your mother would not be fond of these rugs. These are carpets which are often created by entire families, made to be enjoyed by families! Keep up the awesome scouting, this is a really cool deal you've gotten on this rug!