Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

can you date this rug?
huruburu2 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 11:56:49 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

This cheerful 9 X 12 rug is listed as 1940s. The seller says rugs don't come with a date stamped on the back (!) and it could be early 50s. I wonder does anyone have an educated estimate?
huruburu2 attached the following image(s):
whole-rug.jpg
detail.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 7:19:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

is it missing the outer border on the left? looks like it could be that old. would help to see the back. This is posted under eBay rugs. Do you have a link to the listing?
KAD Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 4:46:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Agree with rugpro, left border reduced. Might be 1940`s, looks more like end 1950 or early 1960`s. Detailed pictures would help a lot.
Art Oriental - Djoharian fine oriental rug, since 1967
Ludwigstr. 21 97816 Lohr, Bavaria - Germany
https://www.the-rug-store.de
https://www.facebook.com...TeppicheArtOrientalGmbh
https://www.instagram.com/djoharian_collection/

huruburu2 Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:52:00 AM(UTC)

RugPro, what a terrific eye you have. KAD, thank you for the confirmation. Can you tell me the consequences of a left border reduction, structurally? I will ask for a quarter photo, and also ask about the border reduction. I am posting a few more photos but don't know that they will give additional information.
With many thanks,
Huruburu
huruburu2 attached the following image(s):
back1.jpg
corner.2.jpg
detail.2.jpg
additional-image.jpg
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:48:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

You have to look very carefully at eBay rug photos. Often there borders missing or even worse, what I call "chopped" meaning the rug was originally much longer and a bit was taken out and they tried to line is up as much as possible but it's still really visible. Sometimes they call this a "repair" which it's not. Ocassionally it won't even be mentioned but an additional actual repair will be listed. I have bought many rugs from eBay and find that this doesn't need to be a problem if you train your eye to see what's there and what's not and look beyond the pattern of a rug that just happens to be beautiful or just really cool to see the flaws. Once you start seeing them they're very easy to spot.
1 user thanked KrowGyrl for this useful post.
huruburu2 on 1/9/2011(UTC)
huruburu2 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:49:42 PM(UTC)

Thank you so much KrowGyrl. I have read + learned from many of your posts. It's ironic because this rug is a possible candidate to replace a rug I bought on Craigslist: one I saw in actuality (though not in ideal conditions) and which, not long after I brought it home, I noticed was reduced at the top. I was able to return it and get my money back. I think I have progressed from being able to see such reductions in a rug I own to being able to see them "live," but I need to apply myself to being alert to them online, as that's most likely where I will buy. I was very impressed with RugPro's acumen! Thank you again.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 6:58:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

ebay rugs like this are very addictive. Super affordable to get started in decorating with area rugs. krow is right, sometimes they're cut in the middle and brought together so you do have to watch out. The worn look is great in these rugs, so high aesthetic value in general.