Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Our rug looks just like this!
CatLady Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:59:58 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hey all! We've had a rug passed down from our aunt that looks exactly like this rug on ebay. We've considered selling our rug, what is this rug and does seeing this rug on ebay mean our rug is worth the same amount? http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

Abigail
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:18:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Abigail

We should first go into what this rug is, and then talk about your carpet. This rug appears to be a typical 90 line chinese rug. How do I know this?

1 the design is an "art deco" style, which many 90 line chinese rugs incoporate many their designs.
2 the rug appears to be both thick in pile height as well as "embossed", or carved. This is another tell tale sign of a chinese 90 line weaving
3 the use of power colors - although the photographs are not true to life colors, the rug features bright reds and black which are typical of art deco / peking design chinese carpets
4 if you look carefully at the fringe on the far left of the first photograph, you can see it looks as though there is a long kilim, or skirt: again, very typical of these chinese 90 lines.

Whether or not your rug is the same exact vintage or origin is up in the air. Many of these Chinese 90 line designs were interpretations of Nichol's art deco rugs: the originals from the 20's and 30's. While you could very well have an authentic Nichols rug, this is tough to say without seeing photographs. Should this be the case, depending on condition, color combination and other, for an 8x10 cold be valued anywhere from $1500 fair condition - $5000 mint condition at any retail store. Most "average condition" Nichols rugs would have a lower pile, some signs of wear and loss of fringe - the average price being somewhere around $2500 for 8x10.

If your rug is what I belive this rug to be - a 90 line chinese, it is significantly lower in value. These rugs were, for the most part, produced between 1980's - 2000 with production significantly thinned towards the latter part of this age range. In regards to this carpet on ebay, the seller is asking probably 3 fold what any normal rug seller would offer the same example for. If your rug is in perfect condition, the same as the day it were originally, figure $1800 would be a high end retail number, although most sellers would offer this for $1200 - 1500. Although usually made of nice quality wool, these carpets are fairly common to come by and somewhat of a low value in the hand knotted "rug market". The average used value would be somewhere around $700 showing only slight signs of wear, and even lower if there is any damage or moth problem. Given you're a private party vendor, I would knock at least 30%-50% off any of the above values if it is a Chinese 90 line, or 25-40% off if it is a Nichols (more collectible).

Best of luck when you go to sell your rug, I hope this information has helped. If you have the ability, take some photos and post them for the board to see!
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:49:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I don't disagree with RugPro with exception to the actual design of this piece.

I would say this design leans more towards the Peking design rather than Art Deco. I say that because of the symmetrical arrangement of floral/vase sprays around the medallion which could even be an endless knot, which is practically never used in Art Deco pieces, but rather a design element usually attributed to Peking designs. Often these rugs also have butterflys, vases, and even eucalyptus leaves incorporated into the weaving.

Also worth noting to confirm this is a 90 line chinese- the fade-ins/outs of colors used in the flowers. This is a typical technique used in these 90 line rugs.

Abigail - we'll have to see photographs of your rug to tell you what it is before throwing too many numbers at you!
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag