Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Guy in Iraq here
randomguy123 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 9:15:56 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello all! First, I'd like to thank rugrag for creating not only this forum, but a very helpful website. The valuation tool is particularly helpful.

I'm a contractor working for the US Army in Iraq, and I have found a few merchants at one of the nearby posts who sell what they claim to be authentic Persian rugs. I've been working on educating myself about rugs, and from what I know so far, these rugs seem to indeed be authentic. For example, they are prayer rug size - about 3' x 5', silk on silk/silk on wool, very thin pile (sometimes with raised patterns in the pile) obviously hand-made, at least 500kpsi (one merchant told me a rug I was looking at was 1100kpsi, but I did not verify this), most have signatures at the bottom w/Iranian flags, the colors are generally very vibrant, the patterns very intricate, and to my unseasoned eyes, they appear to be very high quality. Of the rugs I asked about, the merchants also claimed the dyes used were vegetable, but I have no idea how to judge this for myself.

These merchants are asking anywhere from $1,000 to $2500 for these rugs. My problem is that there don't seem to be many similar rugs for sale on the internet that I can use for comparison purposes, so I cannot verify whether their asking prices are reasonable or not. Their prices certainly seem reasonable, but, of course, that does not necessarily mean they are reasonable.

One of the merchants has many hundreds of these rugs, stacked 50 high all around his shop. He must have 500 of them, and it seems odd to me that he would keep so many things of such high value in one place, even if the shop is located on post. That is pretty much my main suspicion - that the rugs are not as valuable as he claims because if they are, he keeps $500,000 worth of them stored inside a flimsy metal trailer, which does not strike me as a very intelligent thing to do. Other than that, with my limited knowledge of rugs, I have no reason to be suspicious of these rugs' authenticity.

I wish I had some pictures to post here, but I do not actually live on the post with the good rugs; I only stop through there when I am traveling from or to my own post, which is once every four months or so. I would like to buy one of these rugs for my mother for Christmas, but I will only be on the post with the rugs for one full day (if that), so I will not have enough time to take pictures, post them here, and await a response concerning their value.

I am fairly sure that these rugs are worth what the merchants are asking, but I just wanted to ask the experts here their opinion before I bought one. I know that without a picture, it is difficult to give accurate valuation estimates, but all I am looking for is a ballpark figure. Obviously, I'd rather get a good deal than not, but if I buy a rug for $1800 that is only worth $1500, it wouldn't be a huge loss.

I did the valuation estimation on rugrag's website; here is the link.

Would you all say that is reasonably accurate appraisal for such a rug? Note that I will not be going off your answers alone - I have educated myself fairly well on what to look for, and any opinions I am given will be used in my decision, but will not the main part of it. I am only looking for a semi-accurate estimate of value for rugs possessing these general characteristics in today's market. I believe I read somewhere that the long-standing ban on importation of Iranian carpets into the US was recently lifted (is that true?), and that, combined with poor economic conditions, may have driven the value of Persian rugs down considerably. That seems to jibe with what I have seen, as many carpets I have seen for sale on the internet have had their prices slashed 50-75%!

So, if I bought one of these rugs today, and it was an authentic Persian rug as described above, what would be a good ballpark figure?

Thanks!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

bukhara Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 9:52:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

possible its chinese rugs, be careful
randomguy123 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 9:55:32 AM(UTC)

Is there any way to tell the difference?
jesco white Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:57:28 PM(UTC)

The guys on this forum are good, but they really need pictures to work their magic. Do you have a buddy on the other post that could take some pictures and email them to you? Then you could post them here. A handful of good pictures is all it would probably take. Does anyone know the link for the "good pictures" page on rugrag? I've seen it posted tons of times when people don't post photos or don't post good photos.
Shereen Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:13:55 PM(UTC)

jamesparker Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:08:54 PM(UTC)

Hi

Welcome to forum.rugrag.
rx-7ames Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:13:54 PM(UTC)

My advice would be, don't rush your purchase. If you have to wait until after Christmas to buy the rugs then it would be worth it as long as you know you are getting authentic rugs. I am new to the forum and buying rugs but I am speaking from personal experience. I purchased a few "authentic Persian" rugs when I was stationed in Baghdad. When I got back to the states I took them to a shop owned by an Iranian guy. I wanted to sell them but he told me he wasn't interested in buying them because they were not very valuable. He said the two Nain rugs weren't actually made in Nain. They were Iranian but were poor copies. Then the silk Tabriz ended up being a Turkish knockoff that was synthetic silk and the rug was died. I didn't spend too much money and he said they were worth a few hundred dollars each. I came out even with what I paid and what they are worth but I would like to do better this time while I am in Afghanistan. I want to buy some better quality rugs this time but I am definitely going to get advice from people on this site first.
jahannandsons Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:39:57 AM(UTC)

You can no longer bring Iranian made rugs into the country regardless of the country in which you purchased them, as there is currently an embargo. If the rugs are really Persian, you run the risk of having them confiscated at customs (although, I'm not sure if they would give you a break considering your line of work). Given the current economic climate in the states, Persian rugs cost about the same here, but at least here you'd be able to take them back to the store if it doesn't match your home.
Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
Little-Persia Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 5:02:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

jahannandsons wrote:
You can no longer bring Iranian made rugs into the country regardless of the country in which you purchased them, as there is currently an embargo. If the rugs are really Persian, you run the risk of having them confiscated at customs (although, I'm not sure if they would give you a break considering your line of work). Given the current economic climate in the states, Persian rugs cost about the same here, but at least here you'd be able to take them back to the store if it doesn't match your home.

Never even thought of that! Anxious Good point. Not sure how they work with Customs clearance, or if they have any, but if they do you're running the risk of having it confiscated. Stupid policy that won't do any good but increase tensions amongst the civilian population but there you are...