Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

a rug with a crease
fredgrower Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:36:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

I have this rug that always wants to crease across it...the wool is begining to wear in that area due to the buckle in the rug. Does anyone have ideas how to keep it flat? Has anyone starched a rug and what type of starch is used, also does it attrach bugs? I've tried washing it, but the rug still bunches up in that area.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:41:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

it could be a lot of things. they may have missed a weft. I have a rug like this, but there's not much you can do about it if that's the case. can you breach the pile and take a picture?
fredgrower Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:16:29 AM(UTC)

I added another photo (close up), I think you are right about a missed weft, I didn't notice it when I bought the rug.
fredgrower attached the following image(s):
close up.jpg
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:57:52 AM(UTC)

Happens! caught this on the main site on missing wefts On the rug I have you can't see it from the back, it was only dropped for a foot or so.
traditionalrugrepair Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:44:48 AM(UTC)

Occasionally, one finds a rug that won't lie flat. Steam pressing is sometimes effective in removing wrinkles. After a carpet is washed and rinsed, it can be stretched to remove wrinkles and curls by nailing the rug, down on a frame as it dries. Washing your own carpet is very risky and time consuming. If you do not know how to control your carpet's dye , color will run. Thank you.
A rug with a crease
fredgrower Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:45:58 PM(UTC)

I think I will try building a frame and stretching it...I know I shouldn't wash my own rugs, but with having dogs... they have had accidents and I hand washed the rugs with shampoo in the bathtub on the smaller ones, this one I hosed off outside then hung it. I guess this one isn't worth enough to worry if it gets messed up. I did take one of mine in to have it professionally washed, but it came back smelling like mildew...sort of made me not trust the dealers in this town. Has anyone worked with the starches?
#7 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 8:12:29 AM(UTC)
Groups:

hmm.. i would suggest you hire a Rug/Carpet Cleaner.. they have the best ideas about your problem..:)
ufuk Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:39:34 AM(UTC)

I know it is bit late but i dont think that stretching is the solution. Is should be strengthen at that point, possibly with some invisible stitching or an extra weft woven in. As a possible alternative to starch you can use watered down wall paper adhesive/paste.
Shereen Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:53:49 PM(UTC)

For mysterious reasons (aka fredgrower's generosity) I am the owner of this rug, now, and I can confirm that it does have a missing weft, but also report that it now lies perfectly flat, and I've done nothing to it at all, except enjoying its presence. (Fredgrower washed it, so maybe that was enough to flatten it out.)
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:29:13 PM(UTC)

Applause I remember this being a pretty rug and it is always good to see updates!
fredgrower Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:15:42 PM(UTC)

Glad you like the rug and it's staying flat (miracle)...I used to really like the rug, but wanting to expand my collection made me focus on the flaw (an excuse to move it out)...my dogs thought I was going to give it to them (when I took it outside to wash it)...thanks for giving it a home:)