Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

a coarser nain
androckaway Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 9:13:07 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

hello, this is another nain-like rug i got.
it's larger than the other one, but it's a little bit coarser.
7' x 4'4'' and about 225 kpsi, obviously wool pile and cotton foundation.

i like so much its odd hyperbolic design instead of an elliptical one!

http://i26.tinypic.com/oarrwo.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/2mguq11.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/dywzn.jpg

the only one design similar to this i found surfin the web was this fine tabas rug at oldcarpet.com:

so i guess it is not a genuine nain but a tabas-nain.
comments are welcome!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:01:30 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Again, these Nain rugs are among the more technical rugs today. They are highly categorized by quality. One of the easiest ways to know this is because of the grade of qualities they produce. A low level Nain is in the area of 130 KPSI (and even less) and be very poor quality with bad wool, the average around 200 - 240 or maybe something. These top, top Nain rugs can achieved maybe 900 KPSI, but there are places even in India which are getting this KPSI and much higher too. The fact is quality-wise, these carpets are much more differentiated than we may have it. I guess this is 9 Laa? Funny, because it doesn't seem to have spaghetti fringe, just slightly thicker tassels. Usually the fringe gets thicker as the rug gets coarser on these weavings.

Okay, with this carpet, be very, very careful washing it, maybe you plan on selling back in the states or what have you. If this is a red highlight which was used, it is way more saturated in the wool than usual. If this carpet gets wet, I think there is a good chance these colors will run. If this is purple or maroon, you should be ok. The funny thing about this carpet is the it could pass as being slightly higher quality than you say just from looks, so that is the good. The design is a little unusual, although not completely rare.

Purchasing overseas can be very tricky. I do not know what your experience was like and it does not seem to be the case I only think this is worth noting. Some people get very taken advantage of by these oversea sellers overseas. They think they're getting a better deal, but often these carpets are sold locally because the quality or design is not good for the Western Market. Seconds goods often show up in Bazaars which were not fit for exportation due to poor shearing or what have you. Remember, these sellers have much more in the line in terms of competition. They'll tell you anything to get you to buy that rug. Sometimes they say, I'll give you your money back if you don't like it. But sending these things back from the United States is not easy, and where is the guarantee they'll send the money back if you send the rug? Maybe you paid with Credit Card and that's ok, but they often capitalize on what Westerners don't know. I had a friend of mine come back to the states with what the seller had promised was a museum type of rug. It was a 1000 KPSI silk on silk Qum. Incredible quality. But the design was nasty. It had big chickens in it, and a cartoon Bambi, and I think there may have been a frog. It was odd. Really, really odd. I didn't know what to say to her - these colors alone made the rug practically lose 80% its resale value as soon as she paid the seller. All these pinks, and the design - all this is unsaleable here. There is no demand for a rug here in the states with a chicken and frog in them. She paid $5000 for the piece, and the seller said it was worth 20,000. Granted, if the rug were of good design and good color, I could understand $10,000, but a 5,000 chicken and frog rug is wrong.

I have seen this design Nain you have posted links to. Good choice, this is somewhat of an unusual design I have seen only a handful of. Someone else here on the board posted another Nain from ebay which was very nice too.
androckaway Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:48:34 AM(UTC)

yes, it seems to be a nohla, counting the yarn of the fringe.
the red one is not mine,but only a sample taken over the web! so no color rush!

you are really right when you say that buying somthin' here is very tricky!
obviously you have no warranty and if you don't know about quality and price you can spend much more than in the west market!

Sometimes they offer to you faulty carpet, or they call silk a bright wool, or they want western price starting dealing...
you have just to be on alert, to not spend a lot and to buy only what you like for your house!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:00:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

No, there could be color run from this white one you have photograph links to - it looks like red has been used but very, very sparingly. Just be careful of these areas, if it is a maroon, don't worry then.

You're right, the sellers will get you if you are not on your toes. I saw these other rugs you purchased like the 500 KPSI Nain and it looks like you did fairly well. Better than purchasing here in the states, and I am not able to say that often to the people who walk into my store with their rugs from abroad.

I guess this white rug you posted could be a "Tabas". In Iran, they have one main place where a rug is made of one quality such as Sarouks, then another neighboring area makes the same design, just in a lower quality, like Arak. Its only a matter of time before these outlying areas create this lower quality rug. The problem is, what usually constitutes the difference is the quality, which is not the most effective way to differentiate between the two.
Tabriz Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:07:06 PM(UTC)

androckaway Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:35:16 PM(UTC)

and what about its price in western market?
Tabriz Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 2:37:57 AM(UTC)

ebay maybe 550, retail 700. you pay around 300?
androckaway Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 3:30:54 AM(UTC)

you say it!
Tabriz Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 4:21:22 AM(UTC)

you got good deal. these other guys are right, it's easy to get burned, but I think you did well