Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

An Invitation
netjim Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 12:59:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

For any of you who will attend market in Atlanta July 17 - 19 (or is it thru the 20th....?) , I expect to be there for the first couple of days at least and would be honored to buy each of you a cup of coffee.
:)

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 1:51:05 PM(UTC)

As a pup (though not a young one) and still wet behind the ears, what market is this?
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:08:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Mighty nice offer! Although I don't know if I'll be making it this year, I certainly would take you up on that if I do. I've heard it's been very slow for the last several years...

Krow - The Atlanta market is basically an expo for wholesalers to display their new lines of rugs being imported. This goes for machine made, hand made, all types of rugs from many, many different sellers. You have to be part of ORRA to go.
netjim Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:29:06 PM(UTC)

Quote:
You have to be part of ORRA to go.

Nope, you just have to prove you are a retailer to get in.....not general public.
http://www.americasmart.com/markets/giftrug/
It's in Building #1 and with 4 floors of permanent rug showrooms, it's like 4 city blocks of rugs.
You will typically see more programmed rugs than one of a kind but what is there will range from el cheapo poly to very high end knotted.

Have you seen banana silk? Very neat. Poly acrylic shag? Well, definately the "other end of the spectrum" but fun stuff for contemporary tastes. Plus, there usually are little seminars (courtesy of ORRA) - often free and open to anyone.

Yes, the last couple of shows have been slower but the selections are still as good as ever. There are always some who will have "unveilings" of rugs, unwrapping them for the first time.

Can be lot of fun.

KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:35:10 PM(UTC)

Gotcha on the market. I know about such fairs. In my day job, I am in the book publishing world and our biggest yearly convention is BEA, Book expo America. Only open to the trade. It's huge and can be quite fun and glamorous. Not I am jealous. How up and running do you have to be to be a retailer? Zanuyay is a fully operative business entity, even if just at weekend markets and private sales.
KrowGyrl Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:36:32 PM(UTC)

"unveilings" of rugs, unwrapping them for the first time. >>>

That sounds neat. Our booth at the Book expo is always near Scholastic. It's always fun to see them "unveil" a new Harry Potter.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:39:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

That's good to know that you just have to be a retailer. I remember seeing people from the home expo being hosted on the floors above come down and browsing some rugs. I went the year before last. The basement was were most of the action was - A lot less formal. Other people have fixed booths on the other floors, which are pretty fancy. It's like they literally have their own showrooms. A tremendous amount of work goes into getting these rugs down there, displayed, then back to location.

Before the show starts, each importer can submit on rug of their newest collection of rugs to be voted on for best in show. At the end of the show, a panel of judges rates each carpet by price range. I believe they also had a couple of antique rugs there too? I think I saw maybe two or three, no more. We're usually not there for long, but it's always a good time going out to dinner after the day's done :)
netjim Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 2:59:45 PM(UTC)

They do this in Jan and in July. The Jan show has one floor for temporary spaces (second floor) and there can indeed be a lot of action there. Quite a few of those displaying then are "small" manufacturers or importers... with the "big" ones keeping permanent showrooms upstairs. The rug market typically overlaps the *huge* gift show by a day and many of the manufacturers will open their showrooms several days early to accomodate some designers.

Krow, surf around the Americasmart site and you can get a "feel" of the place. They just keep expanding with new buildings due to open this fall and next spring. Of course that includes fashion, furniture, jewelry, gifts, etc.

Hotels are not exactly cheap in downtown Hotlanta but there are several very convenient. :)

Oh, ORRA usually has certified appraiser courses and the exam at the July market.

netjim Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 3:11:46 PM(UTC)

Quote:
How up and running do you have to be to be a retailer?

http://www.americasmart....ers/register/newbuyers/

{I miss smileys for the forum}