Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

afghan tribal rug
androckaway Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 9:02:30 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

hi.

this is a tribal rug purchased in herat from a merchant who handles only local rug.
I recognize it as a baluchi prayer rug.
pile and foundation are in sheep wool. it seems in good conditions,the fringe is smooth and it has no color rush.
colors are mainly a sort of orange, blue and dark ivory.

http://i32.tinypic.com/207s31f.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/2mxkfwg.jpg

I found this one that looks to me so similar:

http://www.spongobongo.com/daxv979.htm

what do you think? I like this kind of rug so much, but i don't know if is better with orange or a strong red...
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:22:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

androckaway wrote:
I like this kind of rug so much, but i don't know if is better with orange or a strong red...

I'm not sure what you mean by if it is better with this stronger color. This rug is nice example, although Afghanistan rugs are not my specialty, I like this too. It's a very geometric rug with the squared off merhab, It's a nice choice I would say, I always like the wool foundation. Actually, the design is prayer rug with tree of life, more specifically a cypress tree, with the tall pillar in the middle. Colors look nice, although some of these rugs they tend to pop very loud and fluorescent. This does seem to be the commercial/newer quality of which I have seen similar rugs on ebay for example. Maybe somewhere in the vicinity of $100 - $400 depending on quality. Most I have seen on ebay were in the vicinity of $150 shipped. The one you have looks to be a little higher grade, and denser. I will post one when I see it. This kind of rug for quality really has to be touched to understand. There are many, many, many of this design out there.

I have always liked this rug design. In my parents home we used to have a similar one specially made to be a pillow on one side was a tight kilim and the other was this gorgeous rug with colors which had oxidized slightly.

I like the number 2 the best of this collection:
http://www.edisonphonos....resting-Baluch-Rugs.html
androckaway Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:29:52 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I saw this kind of rug only in two major color:
orange (or a pale red) or bright red.
I just wonder which of these two color is more proper to these tribal rug.
i.e. a bukhara is 99% in bright red...

its color are smooth rather than loud

Don't mind about its commercial value as I bought it just as a keepsake of my "forced travel" here.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:43:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

OK, I understand the comparison between colors with your Bokhara analogy. The colors of these newer rugs will never look like the ones from old unless there is an incredible amount of technique used to assess both an old rug, in addition to how new dyes react with raw wool. From my experience, these rugs never had predominantly bright red, although other colors would sometimes pop up such as a purple or something. You are smart to want to go with the timeless and traditional coloring. Which one you decide on is up to you, but I would personally go with the rug that has bolder colors which I am guessing would be the one with red. The only thing is that bolder colors like power colors of red and black, you tend to like in the moment, softer colors they tend to grow on you as the rug gets older. Do you know what I mean? Good luck!