Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

And even more
KrowGyrl Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 3:08:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

http://tinyurl.com/3h7fuo

Here is one that I think is really cool. However, this is the seller who stung me on the bad photos and the carpet I can't sell and have to use myself. I wouldn't pay this kind of money sight unseen anyway. But look at all the photos how they are all uniformly yellowed out, even the floor in those you can see the floor on. This is not an accurate representation of the color of that rug. Nor are they very clear pictures anyway ....
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 3:42:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would tend to agree. Although, the rug does appear to be predominantly yellow and black, it's tough to really tell what shade. Do you have pictures of the rug you got stung on?
KrowGyrl Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 4:54:46 AM(UTC)

Yeah, here they are. The colors in the 1-4 version are exactly as they appear in my apartment. The variation and abrash is really pretty. The white dots and "constellation line" of dots is not, particualrly on a solid motif field. It's 4'X9'. This one in the post is the eBay photo. You can see the distinctive gyellow glow .... The other four are my own photos. And yes, the eBay photo looked like that on eBay ... fuzzy. I voluntarily took a chance because I love the design. It really is a very pretty carpet.
KrowGyrl attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
eBay photo.JPG
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 5:23:48 AM(UTC)

Well, I would say this is a nice looking rug. But certainly not so nice to receive something other than what you were expecting. I know it sounds odd, and of course, a big, big pain in the behind.... what I sometimes do with images that look a little funny is try and gauge some of the other elements in the picture. Some of the images of rugs I work with here, even if I've never seen the rug in person (this sounds bad to admit) I can actually get a fairly accurate color balance in Photoshop by using indicators such as what I know the floor color to be, or sometimes if the rug has a tag, more often than not these are a stark white with maybe a hint of a blueish gray. I usually can just due a simple color balance to reveal the true coloring.

It seems so silly to me though. It is tough sometimes to get a proper image without an overcast color. But my inclination is to question why these rugs are photographed with this heavy overtone of gold and fuzziness. You can look at this rug and see that there is something up with the color shades, but you want to believe what is in front of you is a proper, well intended representation of what you will be receiving. I'm not sure if it's laziness, or possibly the stigma attached to altering an image as it is seen by the camera. And the other thing is a lot of these sellers sometimes only use one photograph to show a rug. I wonder if the intention is to let the mind wander and see in the rug what they want to believe may be there, therefore use a low resolution image in conjunction with one photo. Ahhh, the psychiatry of selling on eBay....

If I recall, this was a rug you linked to a little while back, no? To me, it actually looks like a really nice little piece - I wouldn't be too upset about it. In fact, I think it looks better as you took the images - although the colors show a little lighter this could be due in part to a flash being used? Hey, worst comes to worst, you can always give it a good tea wash!

By the way, the link you did on the top of the posting, I think the best representation of colors would be the two photographs on the absolute bottom of the eBay listing. There's a significant amount of green in the rug too.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 5:38:14 AM(UTC)

here are some adjusted images I think are a little more accurate. I did the color tone according to what I know these standard tag colors to be, using the "brick colored" eyelet as an indicator for how to adjust the other images.
RugPro attached the following image(s):
done4.jpg
done1.jpg
done2.jpg
KrowGyrl Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 5:41:21 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I now do the tweaking in photoshop as well before I buy when I know the background color is not acurate. This comes from using the same sellers and knowing how they shoot. And it is a very nice rug actually. For the shots I took, there was no flash. I dragged it out into the front hall where there is good light. So it is what you see. The psychiatry of selling on eBay. Yeah. Well, this guy's plan didn't work on me as I won't buy from him again. I saw one rug last night that feated a main shot of the thing foled and rolled up. Gee, that was revealing. the other shots were pretty questionable too, and of course it was priced out at over a thousand. People are amazing.
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 5:43:04 AM(UTC)

you must be talking about the same rug I saw - it was a 12x18 kerman or something with ripped fringe and two or 3 areas where the seller stated were a little worn?
KrowGyrl Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:35:08 AM(UTC)

RugPro ... that touched up set of photos you did are fantastic. Damn, I'd buy that in a minute for myself if I had that kind of play money around at the moment. Wow, that is to die for. In my humble opinion. Wow, just wow.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:39:05 AM(UTC)

TY, there still is a little yellow in them but oh well. It really is a nice looking piece, bold strong, has stable energy. It is a heavy hit, but a great rug overall.
KrowGyrl Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:08:02 AM(UTC)

http://tinyurl.com/4zttgg

Suggested retail price $20,000!!!???
RugPro Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:54:04 AM(UTC)

Unbelievable. There is not a doubt in my mind that this rug at retail would fetch every bit of $1700-2,300 retail. However, overstating/inflating retail of 20k is Macy's job so far as I know. Then again, I guess these guys learned from "the best" of manipulating these "suggested Rat-tail prices." Perfect example of a less than perfect practice....
netjim Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:27:16 PM(UTC)

LOL, sounds like one of those tales from a traveling tent sale.....or that Going-Out-of-Business at the armory.
RugPro Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:55:34 PM(UTC)

ahh, forget about that stuff. That's REAL bad news... part of the reason why I'm into this forum, the rugrag guys are serious about getting the word out on these poor business practices, overseas rug burns, gob's, traveling auctions, all those that give the honest ones a bad image and reputation. The public blames rug dealers as a whole when they get burned on these things, nevermind the misrepresented items online...
netjim Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:24:02 PM(UTC)

Sorry I wasn't clearer. The "laugh" was at, not with.
I agree completely on the junk practices that give the honest merchants bad times. Even as a dealer of programmed rugs, I see that a couple of times a year even in our small town.

True story -=- a GOB almost 2 years ago (furniture store) brought in about half a truck load of rugs for their big deal sale. Included in that truck load were 2 dozen program rugs I routinely stock. With their 70% discount, the rug (a 9 x 12 tufted) was Still $200 higher than my every day price.
KrowGyrl Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:29:03 PM(UTC)

brought in about half a truck load of rugs for their big deal sale>>>

This sounds like the "special purchase" thing you see in all kinds of stores, where they pump up the merchandise for a sale with stuff they don't normally carry, lesser quality, or gimicky bundling promos. Just think Christmas time at Macy's with all the pre-wrapped junk on the cosmetics floor.
Tabriz Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:26:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

netjim wrote:
With their 70% discount, the rug (a 9 x 12 tufted) was Still $200 higher than my every day price.

lol you sound like advertisment. here in ny we have these people called bob discount furniture. no way no how.
KrowGyrl Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:29:48 PM(UTC)

here in ny we have these people called bob discount furniture. no way no how. >>>

And then there's the hotel sale for "going out of business" scam.
Tabriz Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:35:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

true. this i have not seen maybe 20 year big time in nyc back when they go to expensive hotel and everything but was big problem. bigger and recent here i seen church sale where you donate to the church the money for the rug and write off for taxes.