Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

not a billionaire's rug by any means
huruburu Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:56:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

I like this very much, and may buy it, though it is a little small for my dining area.
What do you think? There's nothing classic about it but I find it compellingly soothing. http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg
The seller seems really excellent.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Shereen Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:29:48 PM(UTC)

Another rug based on Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau design rather than original persian design (though arguably persian designs may have had some impact on Arts and Crafts rugs).

I like the design, but wonder whether the rug is not overpriced. Low knot count, colour irregularities (this is not abrash, these are counted as flaws, new dye batches used). I don't know about the wool and the knots themselves - some of the experts here should judge their quality.

I'm sure your cat(s) would enjoy the fringe.
huruburu Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:23:39 PM(UTC)

Yes, I have asked about the color irregularities and will hear tomorrow when I may make an offer accordingly.
My big tub of a cat Vincent is almost beyond the playful stage but I am not strong enough in spirit to think of him damaging something like this, even though it's imperfect and not a billionaire's rug. I have never really owned anything of value so this new passion for rugs is challenging. But my budget keeps me in check.
Thank you Shereen.
Shereen Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:21:06 PM(UTC)

The rug is made after a design originally exhibited by Liberty's in London 1903, and was, I believe, another Donegal (Irish) design and production.

These days it is reproduced with the name "The Fintona" in India and other places, in all sorts of sizes and colour combinations (including round!).

If I manage, I'll link to the webpages of rugdealers for photos:

http://www.persiancarpet.../gallery.cfm?VarCatID=1

http://images.google.com...ft:en-us%26tbs%3Disch:1

http://images.google.com...oft:en-us%26tbs%3Disch:1
fredgrower Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:03:46 PM(UTC)

Here is what I've learned about buying off eBay: first, figure out the size you need and don't stray (don't settle for smaller, just because you like the design, later you'd wish you had the correct size), read feedback carefully (did you contact the person who claimed this seller committed fraud?, another claimed the knot count was much lower than seller stated), ask for additional photos (there are no photos of the back), study the photos carefully (the seller shows the leaf with the wrong color, this is a flaw that distracts from the rug...if you look closely, there are other flaws in the design as well). Also, don't rush, (this rug has been posted since November)...there are many beautiful rugs in this world, do research first, buy only when you know it's right (and are able to return it, which cost $ return shipping, when buying online). I'm no rug expert, but have bought more than 200 items off eBay (5 nice rugs, 2 duds (returns)...a high percentage return risk on rugs!)
bukhara Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:41:21 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

nice rug!
huruburu Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 4:40:03 AM(UTC)

Thank you very much for all advice, thank you fredgrower for very useful warnings. It's a little like falling in love, in terms of mistakes too.
fredgrower Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:48:54 PM(UTC)

I guess that's some of the problem, love at first sight does not always mean happiness in the long run. Look for quality that will endure the test of time!