Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

sarouk?  painted?  value?
mosaic08 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:30:18 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

hello, got a hot lead on this rug...can anyone tell me anything about this as well as if it would be $1K on a private market sale....
mosaic08 attached the following image(s):
famA.jpg
famB.jpg
famc.jpg
famD.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:59:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Absolutely does look like an older Sarouk. How old, I don't quite know, but it certainly does show a little wear down to the knot heads, and blooming of the pile.

The thing is, over the years of having a rug like this, you can expect normal wear and tear, but you also have to consider the larger picture. Are there dry rot areas, does the rug have odor, are there any serious stains, does the rug have color run, is there any significant moth damage, etc.

I would have to see a photograph of the entire face of the rug as well as a detail corner shot of the reverse of the rug showing both fringe and knots with a quater on top. This is pretty much the only way I could assist with your assesment of the potential 1K purchase. Size would also help, as well as knot count (Arak's for example tend to look identical to sarouks, however are coarser in knot count, and far less valuable. As I'm sure you know, there are many, many things to consider. This rug looks like it's probably from the mid 50-60s going by these photos, however could be even older. Close ups will help

You also brought up an excellent point in regards to the painting. With a rug like this, you would have to actually ask the seller or inspect it yourself. I say this because the rug does not appear to be painted, however within the last dozen or so years, there has been a trend to remove the pigment from the older, painted Sarouks. However, one serious problem with this is while it virtually eliminates signs of the rug having been painted, it is quite a rigerous process which can take a toll on the rug and the wool fibers as well. As the seller if it had been treated to have the paint removed. One way to ascertain this is how long they've had the rug for. If it is in their house, and they say it was from their great, great grandfather... Don't believe them. :) If they have a bunch of other rugs for sale, be cautious, they could just be flipping. Use your good judgment. It is a very nice classic Sarouk design rug... Great point on the Painting too
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:32:03 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I would say the look and feel of this rug places it in the 1960's. Keep in mind, painting of Sarouk rugs really faded out in the 40's. It looks like a 9x12 going by the scale. As for the value, Pro is right, we'd need a little more info on size, condition and other.

I think I saw a moth hole in one of the photos, be sure the seller is clear on condition if the rug is not available for local viewing. For this rug, I wouldn't worry about it being painted or having the paint removed. This rug simply seems to new for that. Also be sure to ask if the wear is even. One of the most important things for an older rug is to consider if the wear is evenly distributed.

If this rug is in otherwise good condition, I would say 9x12 for $1000 is good, although again, I did see some problems with the knot heads showing towards the edging, and the presence of what looks to be a moth damage.

Have you been able to see the rug in person? Is this an Internet rug?
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
Tabriz Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:12:41 PM(UTC)

in one picture it look like the warps surfaced a little from using.
mosaic08 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:55:18 PM(UTC)

...thanks for the replys...i don't think she is going to ship it, but i was very interested in this rug...we've been looking for something like this (we're drawn to the sarouks/kermans) for our dining room that, unfortunately, can only be 10' in the long dimension...this rug was 7'10x10, which would of worked well... thanks for all the post...i'll keep looking...

and again, we're having a kid here shortly and i don't know why i'm looking when i'm getting concerned about having a young child on expensive rugs! ....