Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The UN!
KrowGyrl Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 3:29:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

http://tinyurl.com/4w5eqv

This carpet (and there are several of them in this same group) illustrates part of the fun of eBay and why the entertainment value is as great as the bargains. The above carpet is described as Persian French Moroccan .... Persia France Morocco has always been a hotbed of rug craftsmanship, if a bit elusive and hard to place on the map. Particularly when the "origin" of this particular masterpiece is described as Belgium Turkey. Nothing more can be said gentlemen, I leave you to ponder the mystery. Funny, I woud have guessed "Taiwan" but then, I am no expert, clearly.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:31:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Good points, very frustrating too. I've tried to bring similar problems to eBay's attention in the past week or so with no responses.

With a machine made rug, everyone and their friend can have afford and have these rugs. This is when research comes into play. When it comes to comparison shopping, there's nothing more difficult than "weaving" around a seller's comfusing privatized labels, or as in this case, horribly mis-advertised item. One of the even bigger problems here is the seller is using poor characteristics of this rug to confuse buyers aren't familiar with rugs and the natural misconception that thinner is better. "100% man-made silk (very thin)" First of all, man-made silk says very little about the actual fiber content. When a seller doesn't stick it right out there what the material is that comprises the rug, be wary. Not only is it bad enough this guy is using overlapping key terms, but his product is also most likely far more inferior than that of which could be purchased locally. Most retail stores probably would not carry this type of carpet, and one has to be especially careful when making these purchases as more often than not, these artificial silk fibers can be just as delicate if not more delicate than true silk.
KrowGyrl Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:01:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Exactly, and if I were the seller, I would foist my wares on another part of ebay, not the section he's using. And I saw the "very thin!" thing too. Brilliant. As far as eBay doing anything, they are not going to jeopardize their paying customers, i.e. the seller. So it's kind of a waste of time. I think the "feedback" area is the only recourse, but that is only AFTER you've been burned.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:02:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

good point on the section being used. As for the feedback, I was really happy to see that thread open and available for posting on eBay purchase post receipt, the system they currently have is just not sufficient