Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

India rug value
justin Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:26:27 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I need help identifying two rugs i have recently aquired. They are both hand knotted from india and are identical 5.5 ft x 8.5 ft give or take a few inches. They are in excellent condition, and have the original tags on the back. One tag indicates that it was originally imported by fritz and larue which to the best of my research was bought by another company around 1913. Any information on these rugs would be helpful as I am trying to find an approximate value for them.
justin attached the following image(s):
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:21:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Justin - Welcome.

I'd be more than happy to help you out with identifying these carpets, although for some reason my home computer isn't allowing me to open the files. I should be able to respond sometime by monday, so hang in there and I'll be happy to fill you in on the rugs photographed if someone else hasn't already.

Cheers
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:14:56 PM(UTC)

Hello again Justin.

I took a look at this rug, it is from Fritz and Larue. Just to give you a little background info on the company itself, I believe they were bought out by Pande Cameron in the 1990's from what I remember... who later themselves were bought out by an exporter.

Anyway, back to the rug: this is a very nice looking Indian carpet made sometime I would imagine in the very late 1980's to early 1990's, or perhaps even a little later. The rug is not incredibly old, but certainly from a well known importer, and of nice quality. One of the ways we can distinguish age has to do with the fringe, the coloring, the style and look of the weave, etc.

Nice piece- as for value, I cant say for sure how much unless I have an idea of the knot count, which should be a fairly easy thing to do, just place a quarter over the knots on the back of the rug, and send us a photo. The rug is hand knotted, wool pile, cotton foundation, approximately 20 years old or maybe newer, I guess a piece like this with no serious problems and average low traffic use (generally very good condition with no obvious problems) and good knot count would probably be retail somewhere around $1000. Fill us in on some of the other necessary information, and I can give you a better idea. It may be a little more, maybe a little less.... Overall, a very nice looking piece.
cloudband Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 5:44:40 AM(UTC)

Nice looking rug, appears to have a great quality wool too. I would say condition looks very good and agree with Pro for the most part, although Retail could be slightly higher than stated for this rug, even though it is a little older.
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag