Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Not Hadji Jalili on eBay
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 8:13:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

This is not a Hadji Jalili Rug, although it is what some would consider to be in the style of these rugs. This is a very subjective topic, many people call these rugs Hadji Jalili, when in fact they're simply of similar design and similar vintage but this is incorrect. Again, with the yellow tint too.... oh well
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 10:15:34 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Yeah, the guy seems like bad news. But, who IS Hadji Jalili?
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:22:12 PM(UTC)

Spelling is always different, I go with the most common.

Hadji Jalili is one of the more notable designers/workshops (slightly unclear history here) for weaving Oriental Rugs in the late 19th century Tabriz Persia. Traditionally, rugs of which are attributed to his name have been of very fine quality. Other than quality, the eye for proper expert design mapping was one of the most distinguishable aspects of such rugs which set them apart.

There were many types of designs they wove, prayer rugs, traditional medallion, etc. Many of such examples will feature light colors, with beautiful aqua blue, ivory and very soft earth tones. Some of the larger rugs I have seen are often on a burnt orange background - Claremont rug company of CA has some pieces they consider to be Hadji Jalili if you want to take a look under their Tabriz carpets, although I think they use the term a little loosely myself. When I come across some I will post.

SpongoBongo.com has some great examples, but notice how they put "Hadji Jalili" in quotes for a lot of the Sotheby's descriptions. Most reputable sellers/museums, collectors will not say definitively that a rug is such unless there is some sort of inscription or they have had their rug in posession for a great deal of time and it has always been called as such. The problem is most of these rugs have no documentation. If the seller uses the term very loosely to a low quality rug such as the rug on eBay, the jist is similar to selling a replica or a fake in a sense. The thing is, you usually can say what is not a Jalili rug - but stating what is can be very difficult.
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:29:08 PM(UTC)

Great. Do you know if Hadji (I am assuming this was originally Hajji Jalili) was a founding artisan or a high point in a family lineage? of course, I should check this out myself. Interesting ..
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:35:33 PM(UTC)

http://tinyurl.com/3wcx2f

YIKES! I guess the optimal word here is "master craftsman."
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:35:53 PM(UTC)

Haha, yes you could say that. Although a lot of it is pretty unclear. I would have to do much more research myself. I have only seen maybe a half dozen or so in person which may be considered as Jalili rugs. I'm sure you could very well be right on the original spelling. Finding concrete information would require the need for some very old books I would imagine. Many of the newer books have somewhat generalized what would be acceptable criteria for such rugs, although this does depend somewhat on the author as well.

In the meantime, I will keep my eye on the lookout any time I look through the books here.
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 1:17:23 PM(UTC)

Well, the reason I noticed the spelling, and of course it is all a transliteration from Arabic or farso, but "Haji" is the common affectionate designating term for a male who has had the Pilgrimage to Mecca. It is an honor to be called such and you cannot use it or name an infant that as it is reserved for those who have made the Hajj. So i naturally figured ....
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 1:43:20 PM(UTC)

You are full of good info. Are you Persian yourself? You seem to have a good grasp and a lot of knowledge on many things from the references to some of the deciphering of words on the jaquard rug in the other post.

Finally I got myself an AVATAR!
KrowGyrl Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 1:58:29 PM(UTC)

Congratulations on the AVATAR. I am thinking of switchuing mine out. And no, I'm not Persian. I just know about some stuff for other reasons. :)
Tabriz Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:21:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

good avtar, not jalili ebay rug, not museum rug. no good auction