Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

E-Bay: beauty & the beast
fredgrower Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2010 3:42:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

My first E-Bay rug buying (Masterpieces1) photos looked like a nice silk rug at a good price...what I got was a rug that was so flawed that I instantly contacted the seller to return, the seller was beyond rude, I sent the rug back, lost $65 shipping and was left neg. feedback...
My next rugs were excellent, but they were all bought from private sellers not dealers. I think the key to buying is ask a bunch of questions first and if the person doesn't respond, then just walk away.
fredgrower attached the following image(s):
qum back 014.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

traditionalrugrepair Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 4:11:45 AM(UTC)

If deal looks too good to be true I won't buy. Because millions of people watch ebay and you can be sure they bid if they think that something is very cheap. I sell antiques in ebay for almost 3 years. But I don't buy from ebay anymore. Because I had a couple of expensive bad experience. You have to return ,get negative feedback, final sale headache ........ When people sell things in ebay they generally don't make a lot of money. Very small profit margin. I am happy with very small profit margin because of I don't look at ebay as a main source of income for me. I make my money repairing and cleaning carpets and kilims. Anyway good luck.
fredgrower Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 5:05:41 PM(UTC)

I hate to admit it but I love e-bay, not just rugs, but for almost everything. I priced a silk rug here in town ($2,000), bought one, two, three, four (e-bay) for less than the price of the one. I was very happy with them, but I've bought some things that were junk, had to file a claim once, but it's almost like a gambling addiction where you never know how happy or sad you'll be in the end. I've gotten some things I could have never found (or afforded) if I bought in local stores. I've sold a few things on e-bay (not to make $, just to get rid of excess), but that scares me more than buying things.
propofolboy Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:09:53 PM(UTC)

What was wrong with your silk qom rug you first got?
fredgrower Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:12:09 PM(UTC)

Oops, I guess the way I posted was a bit confusing, the photo is of a qom which I got recently and was a beautiful nearly perfect rug...the first silk one I bought was Chinese and had over 100 white knots (I think it was where the warp threads broke and was put back together), it was horrible and the seller was the rudiest person I have ever delt with in trying to get a refund.
propofolboy Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:10:17 PM(UTC)

Ok, because i thought the rug in the picture looked pretty good!