Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

In Afghanistan and might buy a rug
steveor Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:24:53 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I'm at the Bagram Airfield in Aghanistan and am considering purchasing an oriental rug for my living room back home. They have various vendors on base but I doubt their inventory is geared towared the discriminating buyer. I'm looking to buy a nice hand knotted rug that looks nice; I have no illusions I'll find a treasure. There are some terrific resources on line but I'd like any additional advice so my expectations are realistic. I realize this is a bit open ended but being new to this I don't know what I don't know yet. Obviously if there is someone knowledgeable about rugs who has been here, that would be ideal (i.e. save your time and money and just buy something in the US).
Thanks, Steve
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Fahad Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:36:48 AM(UTC)

Try to find a war rug.
steveor Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:57:06 AM(UTC)

A war rug isn't my style. Not for the living room anyway.

But I found out about AfghanMark through this forum. If I were to buy a rug in Afghanistan, I think purchasing one that contributes to the Afghan Women's Federation would be especially meaningful to my wife and I. There is an online catalog but it is difficult to judge the quality.
Fahad Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:42:18 PM(UTC)

Steve, if I were there I would visit the local bazaars. There will be plenty of choices I suppose. I personally prefer tribal rugs, Turkoman, Baluchis. When having lived in Kuwait some years ago, we went to the Friday market (maybe every Friday). My Afghan friends there baught their stuff during the hot summer months in Mazar or Herat, I suppose. Excellent quality and quite inexpensive. I have recently been able to get, via Amazon, a copy of the classic, R.D. Parsons' "The Carpets of Afghanistan" (1983, 1990). Although not even 20 years old in its new edition, it definitely describes a world which is gone. Another revealing book is S. Azadi's "Carpets in the Baluch Tradition" (1986). Regarding women. 'Real' carpets in tribal societies are woven by women sitting in their tents and producing for their dowry. This has, however become an industry and even child labor has to be expected. To make a living in refugee camps, men are also willing to weave.
jahannandsons Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:38:26 AM(UTC)

Many Afghani rugs are made of wool woven on a wool foundation. If you can, try and purchase a rug woven on a cotton foundation, as the wool rugs have a tendency to buckle after being washed and/or buckle if they are used in a humid area (like if you live in FL, DC, GA, pretty much anywhere with humidity).
Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
jesco white Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:27:06 PM(UTC)

Wow, glad I found this thread. I've got a friend who's Afghani and is excited to do some rug shopping for me in Afghanistan.

He's asked me which type of rug I'd like and some colors I'd like as well. I feel like this is a pretty cool opportunity so I'm not looking for a low-end rug. He'll bring it back for me so I won't have to pay shipping which means I'm willing to spend a little money to get something special.

Any thoughts? I know it's a little subjective but what type of Afghan rug would some of you rug experts look for if you were in my shoes. Are there any colors that are more desirable than others?

Also what are some of your thoughts on war rugs? They're a little un-nerving to me but seem about at regional/historical as it gets as far as Afghan rugs go. Any thoughts?
Little-Persia Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:48:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Jesco White

The Afghan 'Faraghan Sarouks' or Nouristani rugs are quite nice, natural dyes, good quality, nice colours. (Probably too late now)