Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Funny Seller
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 5:48:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Guy States "We do not deal in Chinese, Indian or inferior rugs / replicas / hand-tufted or any machine made rug." First of all, almost any rug has been inspired by a previously woven rug in some manner or another. So in a sense, many, many rugs are considered "knock offs" if you would. Secondly, this rug he has here is most certainly what I would consider a seconds good, or an "inferior rug" in many senses.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:38:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I see those and wonder the same, even though I have bought from him. That's definitely a chopped up piece of something. Definitely headed for the pillow factory. But that's okay. At $30 you can certainly do worse. It would need a bit more chopping though ...
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:44:36 AM(UTC)

KrowGyrl wrote:
Definitely headed for the pillow factory. But that's okay.

haha

These rugs do have good potential, it's unusual this rug would have bright pink warps. Pretty interesting to say the least. I saw a rug a while back that had the side borders removed, most people wouldn't have seen this I don't think, but in truth, what does it matter if it serves the purpose, so long as it's not being pawned off for some incredibly valuable rug. As you say, these are rugs which can serve as they are for a nominal investment, or they can be used in patching other rugs, pillows, or perhaps even cut down more to make them symmetrical once again. The shape is way out of balance too, but looking at the back, it appears to be a fairly solid weave. I've seen some of the other pieces this seller has look interesting too
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:50:28 AM(UTC)

This one surprises me though at the current bid of $100 including shipping. It's been cut down, but it doesn't appear to be finely finished, and there is a good amount of color run too. And of course, the rug is missing it's primary border - surprisingly we've had a couple of people actually request this at retail. It's an interesting trend for customizing, although usually it's machine made nylon rugs we've done it for. I suspect this rug had some sort of irreparable damage to the sides which warranted the removal rather than the fixing.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 7:54:27 AM(UTC)

That one would make an amazing cushion for a built in banquette though .... for a home or a restaurant. I wonder what method would be used to finish of a raw edge for upholstering?
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 8:06:01 AM(UTC)

hmmm... Asmalyk's have great finishings I've always thought. They have this sort of thick but finely braided rope that sort of lines the perimeter of the piece. I saw this pic on bukhara-carpets.com kinda illustrates it a little. It's the red and blue edging around the corner of the rug. Be kinda nice to have this meet the reverse fabric just seaming the two together.

I have yet to go to a fine restaurant with beautiful Persian Rugs which somewhat bothers me. I've always thought it would be an awesome and enchanting kind of atmosphere to have rugs on the floor, but I have to imagine the cleaning bills would be astronomical. Although, I believe I have heard of some restaurants overseas that have them hanging on walls and what not.
RugPro attached the following image(s):
antique_yomut_asmalyk_AD00001_d_006.jpg
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 8:13:52 AM(UTC)

I have yet to go to a fine restaurant with beautiful Persian Rugs which somewhat bothers me. >>>>

I'm an old hippie from San Francisco and Berkeley. It was the staple of that scene, as well as some great funky Persian restaurants that flourished back in the day. There was a fantastic place in Manhattan a few years ago called Paisley. That's gone too. I don't approve of all this slick minimalism. But then, that look ensures you eat up, pay your tab, and get out. Dark lighting, Persian carpets on the floor and on the seating sort of encourages lingering. No longer in vogue, as it were.
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 8:22:14 AM(UTC)

Very true in regards to the lingering aspect. I do have to say, one place that almost pulled it off that I was at is Union Hall in Brooklyn. Of course it's more of a bar atmosphere, but they did have on stages downstairs a nice little afghan piece which was quite worn. They have a couple of machine made carpets upstairs on the main floor which have been tacked down to the floors. Also quite worn, but they have the whole library type of deal going. Nice place to hang. Haven't been there for a while though. I'm always surprised to see these real estate agencies are so stark. You would think they would want to spend a couple bucks and exemplify what it is to have a home in their office. After all the service they provide is on such a personal level - at least it should be. And they wouldn't necessarily have to worry about the heavy traffic wear that a bar would have.
Tabriz Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:22:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

not a funny seller, this is junk rug. but may be used for better things like krow say