Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can you help me with 4 rugs, please?
argylesocks Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:26:22 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi there....

I am moving out of state, and am selling all of my rugs. I have 4 in total, 3 of which were gifts. (My undergraduate studies were on the Middle East....)

That said, I purchased only one of the four, and it was at wholesale price, as my friend owned the store. I have no idea how to fairly value the rugs for sale, and would appreciate any input you would be willing to offer regarding provenance and fair market value.

Thank you.

Rug 1: The one that is blue, red and ivory that I believe may be Heriz...probably new due to the brightness of the red. Has a tag that reads: Size 291 x 204 (Total m2: 5.96). Origin and material is not listed. The dye is faded in some areas, but is mostly bright red.

Rug 2: Probably 3x5? Also blue/red w/o any tag, and I think it is a Gabbeh. Also given to me as a gift by another friend who owned a rug store. He fell on hard times, his store went out of business and I put him up in my home for some time. He gave this rug and rug number three to me as tokens of his appreciation. He was not well at the time, and it did not seem appropriate to bother him about details regarding provenance. I have since lost touch with him.

Rug 3: About 1.5 ft x 3 ft? I do remember him saying that this is a "very nice rug" and mentioning silk. The weaving on the back is very close together and aside from rug two, it is the thickest rug of the four.

Rug 4: This rug was brought back for me from Turkey. There is a tag on it, but I have had the rug cleaned, and it appears to have erased the writing. Next to "origin", it appears to have started with a B, and I regret not having written it down.

Please let me know if there is any more information or more photos that I can provide.

Much gratitude in advance.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
File Attachment(s):
LR5.JPG (1,915kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
Gabbeh 2.JPG (1,560kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Silk 1.JPG (1,816kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
Turkey 3.JPG (1,774kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

bukhara Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:28:05 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member, Dealers

If you put a photo - it will help
argylesocks Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:51:21 PM(UTC)

bukhara wrote:
If you put a photo - it will help

Sorry that took so long....I was working on it. =)
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:37:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

please post the 3rd and 4th rug on individual separate posts, also take a look at the images we need to see to say what each rug is. you'll have to take more photos. the 'silk' picture could be from several different countries. the last one looks like turkish caesaria

http://forum.rugrag.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=538
jahannandsons Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:09:27 AM(UTC)

I think you're going to need to post some closer-up pics of the back, fringe, and binding for the most accurate information. Just by quickly looking at the photos you have, I think I can weigh in on a couple of them. Your Gabbeh rug has a traditional Gabbeh design, and from what is visible of the fringe, I'd say it is Indian, but a photo of the back would help to prove/disprove that. Your silk rug is what we refer to as Sino-Persian, meaning that it is a Persian design, made in China. From the picture, I'd say it is a wool pile with silk highlights. Do you keep that rug near a doorway(or maybe it is the lighting)? If so, you should rotate it regularly for even wear.

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com