Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

is this a genuine nain?
androckaway Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 6:47:45 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello, these are some pics of my brand new nain rug.
It is 5'8'' x 3'5''
According to my poor knowledge it's a 6la quality nain with cotton foundation. (from each fringe of the warp i counted 3yarn and then 2 so 3*2=6)
each linear inch has about 22 knots, for an average of about 500 kpsi. don't know if the white pile is silk or not.
here's some large pics, others pics sent to the moderator of this board.

medallion
corner
front nightlight w flash
knots

What do you think about this rug?
Is it a genuine nain rug or a simple copy (like a tabas)?
however i like it so much and its colors are very good for my living room!!!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:16:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Nice Nain. The only thing I am a little suspicious of is the amount of art silk or true silk used. The yarn ply of the wool pile may help understand the rug better. I think in general it would be safe to call this a genuine Nain rug, but probably a rug that was a stretch for a workshop.

It's a nice piece, don't worry so much about what it is or isnt - I would say its a Nain. The colors are very nice, I always thought these rugs were great for hanging or in a living room. They're actually more flexible than people think in terms of decorating, I know one person had a giant Nain in his contemporary house with white and black. The only thing I would say is the rug looks a little wider on one side than the other?
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:28:11 AM(UTC)

Its been a while since we dealt in Nain rugs, although from what I can tell you they are among the more technical weavings made today.

I agree with RugPro, this rug is probably a Nain. It is wool pile, some sort of silk or artificial silk highlights with cotton foundation . I guess you would call this rug a Shishla given the information above. I have to say, the rug appears to be very nice but does have a stretched design from one side to the other?

Take the rug and fold it in half to see if the design lands in the middle. Do this both vertically and horizontally. An off center design and or siginficantly wider at one end than the other carpet will be lower in value.

Try here for testing the fibers for silk
http://rugrag.com/post/Fibers.aspx

You may have to remove a knot
http://rugrag.com/post/H...do-I-remove-a-Knot.aspx

Click here to see Irregular rugs:
http://rugrag.com/post/I...Corners-not-Square.aspx

For others interested further information on how to assess their Nain's, the best way to understand the technical: Take one single fringe in an inconspicuous area and dissect it. There single strand of fringe (continuation of the warp) should be wrapped with several other individual staples of cotton. Count first how many main strands the fringe breaks into. Then, of each of those strands, count how many additional stands comprise each of the main strands

To quote Mr. Barry O’Connell of http://www.SpongoBongo.com,

“If one were to take a single strand of the fringe and pull it apart(unravel) one would find either two or three threads in the one strand of fringe.
Continuing, if you break down(unravel) the three threads it would break down to three additional threads (3x3=9) The Farsi word for 9 is Nola (or nohola) thus a nine thread rug,
If the 3 strands broke down into 2 strands each (3x2=6) it is asix thread rug or shisla (or shishla).
If on the other hand you only start with 2 threads and you break each of these down and find they unravel into 2 threads each(2x2=4) you have a charla (or sharla). Clearly a charla will be a finer warp and thus allow a higher knot count than a nola or a shisla. So charla are the finest Nains, nola are middle grade, and the lowest grade are shisla.”

The information above was souced from http://www.spongobongo.com/em/em9780.htm
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
androckaway Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:30:01 AM(UTC)

what do you mean for "a rug that was a stretch for a workshop"?
I don't think it's wider on one side, maybe the pics are shooted with the rug hold by hands so there are all wrong visual angles. the only imperfection i get is that the outer frame is tighter where is the signature than its opposite as you can easily notice on the picture.
anyway I think it worths the price i paied for it: about 500$
androckaway Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:33:53 AM(UTC)

cloudband wrote:

Take the rug and fold it in half to see if the design lands in the middle. Do this both vertically and horizontally. An off center design and or siginficantly wider at one end than the other carpet will be lower in value.

the medallion is definitely at the center of the carpet

cloudband wrote:

If the 3 strands broke down into 2 strands each (3x2=6) it is asix thread rug or shisla (or shishla).

yes, it's a shishla.
cloudband Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:38:19 AM(UTC)

If the medallion lands centered, it looks like you got your money's worth. I would check out whether or not the silk is real or not with the burn test linked. $500 is pretty inexepensive, I'd say you did well. Where did you purchase from and where are you located?

P.S. We did a knot count for you, are we correct to have counted between 530 and 550 KPSI?
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
androckaway Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:41:49 AM(UTC)

yes the price is comparatively cheap, but, you know, i bought it from a rug merchant in herat, near iranian border...
androckaway Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 7:44:01 AM(UTC)

cloudband wrote:

P.S. We did a knot count for you, are we correct to have counted between 530 and 550 KPSI?

maybe in the pic the rule is not 100% straight.
I counted 22
Tabriz Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 8:03:56 AM(UTC)

Ok first, congratulations this is a very nice carpet you have bought at a very good price. Next, this carpet is signed saying "Iran Habibian Nain" which could be copy but probably not. I think this rug is made outside of Yazd, Iran which is 2 hours away from Nain. You purchased in Afghanistan you were stationed there? Either way you got a very excellent deal on this rug. Otherwise you have to take it to a local pro for more information. A rug like this must be felt to id
androckaway Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 8:20:15 AM(UTC)

thank you all for reply. next time i will post also other rug purchased here, even a tribal baluchi rug.

really i don't think it's a real habibian as I paied it not too much.