Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Interesting Site
KrowGyrl Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:27:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Here is a site I have been looking at with some beautiful pieces and some great looking shops.

www.rugrabbit.com/index2.php?contributors=1/
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:48:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Bookmarked! One night I got so lost in browsing this site and the shops listed, the sun came up. Great little shops with nice pieces, although I remember trying to contact some of the sellers and never heard back from any! In some cases I saw the linked sites hadn't been updated for several years... No wonder I didn't hear back. Hopefully this has changed, that was some time back now
cloudband Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:44:15 AM(UTC)

That is a good site. Did you notice Peter Pap Oriental Rugs in there? He's the gentleman does the estimates for the rugs that go through the Antiques Roadshow.
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:38:00 PM(UTC)

http://rugmaster.blogspot.com/

Take a look at the entries for the 16th and 17th of April. What's up with that?
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:46:04 PM(UTC)

I like Sobhe's entries... But sometimes he copies and junks it up with stuff from other sites. I didn't read those posts, but some of the other ones were hilarious.
KrowGyrl Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:52:34 PM(UTC)

You might want to take a glance at the one which is a letter to two senators regarding an upcoming embargo on Persian rugs from Iran .....
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:31:30 PM(UTC)

hahahahaha lmao. He's a riot. "I am Dr. Khosrow Sobhe". I know of him indirectly in the business, only heard very good things.

He does make some great points. I have heard sanctions may have an affect on the rug trade. He does make some good points. It's important to remember there really is such a thing as a black market for Oriental Rugs just as he says. Speaking to other importers, I literally had heard of cases where robbers would come into the homes of weavers, cut nearly completed rugs off the looms, finish them, and make the rugs vanish into undocumented existence. Other times the rugs would just be taken from warehouses where they were being dried after sheering and washing. Many of these stolen undocumented rugs would get distributed through the ports of Dubai, and eventually make their way to markets around the world. Although this happens infrequently, it is more common than one would expect. Imagine that though - literally months and months of work just taken out from under your feet. Often a good deal of the money received from weaving goes into reinvesting into additional materials for the next rug.

One of my favorite entries he's made is the Mothball Dispute
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:36:34 PM(UTC)

As for the rugs with holes in them. I know someone who acted for an Independent Film. They had been filming the set in an old Mansion on Hudson River, apparently furnished with some spectacular Oriental Rugs which were quite old. He said the film crew had to hide the wires for their equipment. Just as Sobhe said, they literally took a knife, cut a 6" semi-circle into the rug, and routed the wires underneath. Sad! If this kind of cut is not repaired immediately, it can devastate the longevity of the rug.
KrowGyrl Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:42:59 PM(UTC)

Ummmmm ...... hold on a minute. Can you by any chance identify or find out exactly what house that was on the Hudson? The friend I spoke of with the rugs last week, he has a 29 room stone castle on the Hudson River that is used for shoots and movies. He has some fabulous carpets, still, in the house. I lived there for five years myself with him and we were both extras in a couple of films that were shot there. Can you find out? The house is a major location site. I'd be very curious ..... Please tell me it wasn't "Satan's Little Helper."
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:04:13 PM(UTC)

I will find out more about it. What films were you an extra for? That is so cool.
KrowGyrl Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:14:44 PM(UTC)

What films were you an extra for? That is so cool. >>>

Well, Satan's Little Helper, for one, with Amanda Plummer, and another cheesy horror film that was never released. However there were portions of Mona Lisa Smiles with Julia Roberts that were filmed there, but I was not in on that one. The house is in Yonkers. And is absolutely available if anyone is looking for an amazing location. Fabulously furnished and unbelievable. And there have been a couple of times rugs have been damaged, and one needed to be appraised for replacement. However, being the savvy businessman that he is, my friend has only laid down eBay carpets and nothing terribly valuable. But there is alot of floor space to cover and he has needed several large ones.
RugPro Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:08:12 PM(UTC)

I had to give him a ring, he said it was at a school at the Old Estherwood Mansion. Apparently he said he thinks now the rugs may have been brought in for the shoot because he had been there since and they weren't there.