Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can you tell me anything about my Craigslist $75 find?
My3dogs Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:20:19 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi everyone! I almost embarrassed to post here. Up until now, I have owned only Karastans and one Couristan rug and have been happy with them. (ducking the tomatoes being thrown!)

I just had my unfinished basement waterproofed, and was looking for an inexpensive rug to cover some of the sub-flooring. I saw an ad on my Maine Craigslist for this rug. I thought perhaps it was olefin or polypropylene due to the price of $75 for an 8 x 10. Actual dimensions not including the fringe are 7' 11" x 9' 11".

I bought it, and on the way home, stopped at a local store when a man who sells rugs told me it was a hand knotted Tabriz Hunting rug.

I'm especially interested in its approximate age, and what the various symbols of the centaur, the deer, serpents, birds etc may mean. It's wool, and the seller's late husband bought it in NYC in the 80s. No wear, holes or smells and it's quite clean.

It spent it's life with this family under a bed in a guest room, and I folded iy up from that room to bring it home. In reading from this site, I tried to count the KPSI, and I THINK it's 100 - 110. I don't have a quarter, but will get one tomorrow! I think that my $75 find was a good bargain, although I am not interested in ever selling the rug; I bought it because the colors are perfect for my home. Knowing a rough value would be interesting, though!

What can you tell me about it? Many thanks!

Full shot
fringe and selvage edge
fringe from back
back sides folded toward middle
centaur with bow and arrow
deer, with hunters with bow and arrow above
serpents and giraffe type looking figures above
one of the birds
back side folded just after bringing it home

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

netjim Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:52:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

I would not venture a price/value but will certainly say that I am Very Jealous!
It looks absolutely Wonderful! (not personally fond of the orange but that's why Baskin-Robins makes 31 flavors)
And I can't help but think that $75 was a real steal. Shhh

RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:27:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

it could really be from 3 different countries. from what I see this is a tabriz design with hunting motif. age around 1960's. it is hand knotted. Problem is, it could be even newer. Value, all else equal, you did excellent at $75. if in absolutely excellent condition with no structural problems, wear or stains, this could be found for maybe $500 - 700 private party value. The country of origin does not matter too much with a piece like this tho, and I would believe it's a true tabriz.

jahannandsons Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:31:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

My guess would be Romania, Tabriz design, circa 1980s. $75 is a steal for anything 8x10! Congrats!
Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Ave | Kensington, MD 20895
301.530.6660 | www.jahannandsons.com
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:43:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Interesting Jahann! I was thinking bulgaria could have been one of the three I was considering