Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

is dry rot contagious?
jaco0582 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 3:10:25 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

like, ah, does it spread? i would intuitively think so.... can it spread to different rugs and/or other wool or fabrics?
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:32:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

hey jaco,

does not spread. the only real problem would be moths, which do tend to travel quite a bit.... are you experiencing anything specific for your rug?
jaco0582 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 9:58:20 AM(UTC)

i am experiencing a smell that it just occurred to me is more Dusty than Musty, i think.... also its in the 80's with high humidity, but the dusty smell is around consistently even when its cooler out... so i think if i keep vacuuming it the dust will come out hopefully leaving the wool pile as intact as it is. But, its also spring time with associated high pollen levels so i am not sure if my respiratory reaction is a consequence of seasonal allergies, or of the dusty smell.

I still occasionally curse those bastard rug-sellers over in the southdale mall in Edina, MN.. although im largely reconciled to my purchase decision and i've learned some good things about rugs and rug-buying since the experience.

i have been hesitant to follow up with the attorney generals office---since they might "give me store credit" but they wouldn't return my cash without a fight. i believe the window for me to file a complaint would still be open, though, probably for a while.

I am experiencing concern about the smell of my rug, is the one thing i havent completely reconciled... i worry it might be detrimental to my indoor air quality. but then again, the rug is laying on wall-to-wall carpeting, which probably can't be any better for indoor air quality, right?

thanks for sharing!
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 12:15:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

the best suggestion I have is to use a rotating brush vacuum on the back of the rug. go over it slowly and make sure you're getting good contact. repeat several times. this should push out dirt, debris, and allergens out from the base of the rug. then vacuum up whatever comes out, and go back to the front of the rug to vacuum again.Dancing
jaco0582 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:24:33 AM(UTC)

i will do that, thanks!

i just posted an apparently related question in the cleaning and maintenance section....but i posted it before i read your vacuuming suggestion here. With this other posting, i was thinking more about my prayer carpets because i think they have a lot of dust in em. But in terms of practicality, the vacuuming is clearly the better option for my tabriz.