Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

removing mildew smell
jeanneart Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 5:13:01 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello--

I purchased several beautiful rugs from one ebay seller without any problems. But the last rug I bought has a distinct mildew odor. The seller would have been willing to take the rug back and return my money, but I would have been out the return shipping which was quite costly.

I left the rug in the sun for seveal days and the odor was gone, but now that its back in the house its very noticable. Would professional cleaning remove the smell?

Thanks

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 7:17:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

hello. direct sunlight should have done the trick. There is no reason why you should have to lose the original shipping. some people are more sensitive to odors, but the bottom line is if they sent you a mildew rug, it's their responsibility to pay shipping. Bring it up with paypal if you have the option. Otherwise, a shampoo professional wash plant may fix the odor, but some cheap ebay rugs don't was well at all. if you have pics i can take a look
jeanneart Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 7:28:51 AM(UTC)

The sellers were actually going to reimburse my initial shipping costs, but not return shipping which was 2xs what I was charged.

Here are the pictures..

jeanneart attached the following image(s):
rug1.jpg
rug6.jpg
rug3.jpg
rug-knots.jpg
rug-selvedge.jpg
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 7:58:54 AM(UTC)

An online dealer has the legal obligation of accurately describing goods. But, be sure it's the rug and not something else in your house first like the underlining or something.

It's a pretty rug, but I would return it, and be emphatic they pay for all shipping if it is the rug.

This is a mashad carpet, it's got some worn areas, and if it were to be washed, other conditional issues such as color run or exposure of markered or painted areas may become apparent. Washing will probably exceed the cost of the rug in the first place.
jeanneart Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 8:28:32 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your assistance. The sellers were upfront about the worn areas so I am okay with those. Did you see evidence that this rug was markered or painted? How can I tell.

I did get several quotes on washing and you are right they were more that I paid for the rug with shipping. But to replace this rug even with a cheapo synthetic would cost me about what I will pay for the rug and washing. So I am tempted to have it cleaned and enjoy it.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 8:47:35 AM(UTC)

Agreed about the cheapo synthetic, but mildew can wreck havoc on a hand knotted rug (dry rot) and indoor health. Those would be my primary concerns. But, if you have it cleaned it should be okay. some of these rugs are very affordable which is a huge plus on top of the decorative value. Here is markering the main site has a lot of rug info If you think the mildew is in one area you can try this: Mildew Removal
jaco0582 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:29:26 AM(UTC)

hi,

i just read the Our Rug Smells! page, and i have a question.

whats the distinction between the mentioned "a "burnt smell" or "old wool" odor," and a musty smell indicating mildew or dry rot?

thanks!
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:12:12 PM(UTC)

i know what they're talking about in that. sometimes old wool takes on a distinct crisp, yet organic old-age smell. This is usually very, very faint unless you're right up to the pile of the rug with your nose. I don't know how to describe it other than it may carry a very slight odor of charred wood. again, you have to be really close to the rug to smell it, and other characteristics come with that such as a drier feel to the pile. not necessarily a bad thing or overpowering, but not the greatest if you plan on having that antique rug in a high traffic area. usually an indicator of exposure to dry environments or just old age. Old wool odor, burnt smell, etc. don't really indicate structural problems in a hand knotted rug (burnt smell for hand tufted is not good - usually means the glue is past lifespan) however...

Musty smell or anything with a more lingering odor which is powerful indicates a serious underlying problem in almost any rug. Dry rot you can't always smell if it's been cleaned or dried quickly, but any of the musty smells, or mildew often indicate a serious structural problem in the rug or quick attention needed. This may result in holes, hard spots, or areas where the foundation has become brittle and susceptible to damage.
zartan7779 Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:44:00 PM(UTC)

i am not an expert or anything but have cleaned rugs a few time for a dealer and he told me vinegar helpe remove odors .

i saved 3 rugs from side of road they were going to the dump and i talk to the guy said take them .
well i got a nice blue chinnese handmade rug with bad smell and looked like white mold .
well used my rug shampooer and vinegar directly on rug then rinse with hose and i let dry on my front deck railing .

seems to work for me ..just a thought good luck

The rugmen Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:16:53 PM(UTC)

jeanneart wrote:

Hello--

I purchased several beautiful rugs from one ebay seller without any problems. But the last rug I bought has a distinct mildew odor. The seller would have been willing to take the rug back and return my money, but I would have been out the return shipping which was quite costly.

I left the rug in the sun for seveal days and the odor was gone, but now that its back in the house its very noticable. Would professional cleaning remove the smell?

Thanks

It is very simple to get rid of the mildew odour, 1st, wet the rug out side on a patio or such and use a neutral detergent and gently rub in.
2nd, Rinse the rug with cold water not warm as this can aggravate the problem.
3rd, Roll the rug in dry towels to soak up moisture. Then let dry, not in direct sun light. Or take to a dry cleaner, problem solved. The rugmen.
traditionalrugrepair Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 9:55:21 AM(UTC)

If you like to keep the carpet hire a professional rug cleaner. They will definitely remove the smell. There are many ways to remove the smell. It will cost you some money ($2 -$5 sf) Doing yourself is very risky. Good luck.