Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is This??
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:15:10 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

netjim Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:24:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:50:31 AM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
http://www.odegardinc.com/flash/index.html

Angel

I should have mentioned, I naturally Googled immediately and so, of course, came upon the above. I still have no clue what this rug is. I get the brand and that they claim to be integrity driven, etc., but nothing tells me any specifics about their rugs or what justifies their prices.
netjim Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:09:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

ah, sorry. I knew the name.

There are a few people - mostly "high end" and/or well known name designers
that have created rug collections of their own.
Some would say (but some would argue against it) that the mere fact that such a name is
attached to the design makes it more expensive.
There are, of course, other factors involved
such as, volume of production and quality of manufacturing to name just a couple of obvious ones.

One can, for example, typically expect to pay a little more for a rug made with Wools of New Zealand.
I know some who argure for and some who argue against this concept but it is what it is. Think
One can usually expect to pay a little more for a rug with the Rugmark label (or a Dobag rug or Adfghanmark or one of any number of similar projects). They cost the dealer more (and pay the weaver more most of the time).

As for what is a high price.....or a good deal.....
I also know a lot of people who simply say that if you like it and paid for it it was a good deal. In other words, you would not have bought it otherwise. (Of course this assumes some due dilligence most of the time.)

And I should add that I personally know people who think the typical Odegard prices are really quite reasonable.
What's the old saying? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I see customers a time or two each week who think that any 9 x 12 rug that costs more than $500 is a stupid rip off. And also see customers who wouldn't even consider anything but a true hand knotted wool or wool/silk rug and a low price just makes them wonder what is wrong with it.

Odegard is just a part of the overall market place. (and she has some really beautiful rugs!) Applause

#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:05:00 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi, again,

In my manic and dense learning curve during my Rug Hunt.......I did learn most of the above. Like all learning curves, this one is infinite.

Few know more than I---it's often a focus of my work-- the often complex & insidious, artificially evolved elements impacting an item's imagery among customers, and so, its price point....even factoring in a current market climate Often, none of it reflect inherent qualities. I will not share the gazillion examples I have come upon in every arena from first hand experience and delving......but we know the phenomenon exists. It is fascinating.....be it a given cultivar awarded by an American Orchid Society judge, or what makes a given human being attractive. Re the latter, cultural, biological, developmental....and also artifically evolved elements are involved......and just this has been the subject of documentaries and textbooks! Same deal with hybridizing cats & dogs over centuries......often an aborgation of the health of natural evolution.

Bottom line: to what degree, item by item, does the asking price or value of a given being reflect commerce and its machinations, esoteric components indigenous to a given arena, even sometimes outdated investments in places of origin.....or elements of actual quality? For some not discerning, new is good. Often entirely unjustified. for others, old is good. also, sometimes unjustified.

To what degree is someone's response to anything or anyone a reflection of what is there versus their own unwitting conditioning? This subject has tendrils into almost every life arena.....hardly just consumerism. To what degree is a given individual a slave to all manner of conditioning versus coming from an original sensibility?

Is it a huge offense to put a handblown Quezal shade on a pot metal lamp? I recently discovered, apart from the famous classics, i.e, Birth of Nation, Chaplian, etc......there are some incredibly rich, delightful silent films from the 20s most people would not be moved to actually watch long enough to become engaged.

I see nothing on their site which gives hard data about individual carpets. That boggles.

"Creating a brand" is now an accepted part of business and there are classes centering around just that. And it often verges on the diabolical.

What hones the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER? Very important subject.

Interestingly, I was drawn to not one rug I saw on their site. Not one. Surely not that one posted on Craigslist. Were it 300 kpsi, natural dyes and NZ wool, even without the no child labor laudable.....I would not want it in my life.

I think passionate curiosity is the engine of the journey.....makes us chase data on all levels, yes?

I found this re these Tibetan rugs:
http://www.internetrugs....n-rugs-rugs-from-nepal/

Sounds interesting, esp wanting to replicate old school elements and natural dyes, etc. Would still like more specifics re construction......tho none I have seen appeal to me personally.

#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:18:04 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I see tis belongs in the craigslist forum. Sorry.

In a rush but just found this:

http://thevoguecity.com/...accessories-sample-sale

I keep seeing "finest" this and finest that.......still do not know specifics. But, re the above, if they are selling some items at 80% off original prices......that tells me something about the original prices. Even in this economic climate.

Their showroom is not far from Manhattan.