Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

should I?
dansapo Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:19:43 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

http://cleveland.craigsl...org/fuo/1108293448.html
I'm willing to clean it but I hope it not a total basket case.Is it even worth half that.
Thanks in advance
Dan
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:52:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

What is written here is just for your info. 150 is very affordable, and it's a great looking rug. here's my two cents

Doesn't seem like a bad price, but if it is what I think it is, better cleaners may not touch it with a ten foot pole if it's worn. The only reason I say this is because these are often rugs that were used in iran, sent to the US, then sold online for cheap. many had wear down to the foundation already before being used here. A lot of these rugs are prone to color run to begin with too.

I would check the carpet thoroughly for markering and Chalking/painting (the bad kind, not the painted sarouk kind). If it's not that big of a deal if these wash out, or the colors run, go for it. 150 is a nominal investment. Figure around $2 per sq. ft. washing, that will bring your total cost just under 400 after tax probably. If further painting needs to be done this may go up. Keep in mind, after washing the rug could look drastically different if it's been chalked or markered.

Otherwise, many of these sellers claim the rugs are already washed, and they can be had for less than 400. Stay away from the golden tone ones.

dansapo Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:22:53 PM(UTC)

Rug pro-Thanks for the input.I've used the rug cleaner that the poster put in his listing.The generally run around 2$ a sq ft to clean and are a little cheaper if you haul the carpet to them.If the bleeding was caused by the homeowner using a rug cleaner (foam in a can type) can that bleeding be removed? I probably just answered my own question.I got a email back from the poster and will take a look,but for even for the asking price it still seems like a nice rug.Barring of course it smells like urine or anything else that the poster failed to mention.I'm not looking for a show piece just a nice carpet that I'm not afraid to walk on.Would 100-125$ be a far price if everything checks out?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:48:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

It's too tough to tell from these images, but assuming it's a hand knotted rug and there's no serious problem, for $100 you really can't go wrong. Pretty rug too. Not telling you to not go for it, just want to let you know options and info. sellers make a lot of claims that aren't necessarily true too...

color run cannot usually be removed without a good amount of investment. Bottom line is it's nice looking, and as long as it serves the purpose and satiates your design and home requirements, you're in :)
dansapo Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 9:03:28 PM(UTC)

Well if I get it I'll shot over some pictures. Thanks again for the help,Your website is great.