Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

turkish rug appraisal
sullysully27 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 11:52:08 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

hello!

my mother-in-law bought this rug in turkey about 20 years ago. it's about 8x10 ft. wool. we're trying to figure out if it's hand woven or machine made, and, it's worth. I realize this one photo may not be enough information...but any input is helpful. thank you so much!
sullysully27 attached the following image(s):
rug 004.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 12:17:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hello there! It would help to have more photos to confirm the information herwith is accurate (photo of the back of the rug), but to give you an idea...

It's a nice looking rug, and it is wool. This rug is maybe from the late 1980's, but more likely very early 1990's. As for origin, I'm not surprised to hear this has been purchased in Turkey. It's not uncommon for the sellers to mix in machine made and hand knotted carpets at the local bazaar in hopes to confuse customers. This rug is a machine made piece. If you look at the binding on the side of the rug, it is very, very carefully and evenly stitched over the edge. If you take a look at the back of the rug, this stitching may not actually travel through the rug itself, which would absolutely be an indicator of being machine made, although not always the best way to tell.

There are two really good tests you can do to see if a rug is machine made or not, although the best way is with a checklist on the main page. For now, I would try the quick visual test, and quick flip test.

Visual: Look at the rug for any speckled pattern or design. Often, a machine made rug uses alternating colored knots in somewhat of an organized or disorganized pattern. Hand knotted rugs rarely have this although there are exceptions.

Flip: Let me know if this one works on this rug! Not the greatest test, but one of many good indicators. With the rug laying flat on the floor face up, take a corner and flip the rug back onto itself about 20 inches. If you do this to a hand knotted rug, 90% of the time it will stay creased or folded over. If you do this to a machine made rug, 90% of the time it will flip back onto the floor. The most common exceptions to this would mainly be Wool Karastan 700 series and woolen Mastercraft rugs. They have a looser structure.

As for value, it's tough to say because the best way to measure quality of a machine made rug is the pile density. Speaking in terms of Retail in the US, originally, this probably would have been a $1200 rug in the early 1990's. If this is the manufacturer that I am thinking of, to replace this quality in 8x10 you would be looking at $1700+. Although the colors are still okay, the design is somewhat dated. If the rug has some use, minor wear and tear, figure about $175-250 would be a good private party value selling locally, although you may want to start it out higher if you're not eager to sell, a little lower if you get a fair offer. If the rug is in very nice condition with no real wear, stains or other, I would ask $400.

On another note, a lot of the value with these older rugs, if you want to sell them, has to do with not only the condition in terms of wear, but also whether or not the rug needs a cleaning. For a rug this size, it's probably around $175 to have it shampooed. If you ask $200, and it needs a $200 wash, most people would just consider a new synthetic machine made carpet in the $600 range. I don't know... I hope this wasn't too much information!