Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hard to Find Book re Repairs
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:45:14 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Bet this is just fascinating! Is there a difference between LOOMy and loony? heh heh I would like to see if I could learn this on a small snippet of rug. Like a remnant.

http://www.amazon.com/Or...ter-Stone/dp/0940582031

Barry O'Connell LOVES THIS BOOK!!!!!
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Nathan K. Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:43:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Jilly,
I think you'd like Peter Stone's other book better: THE ORIENTAL RUG LEXICON. Hands-down my most often used book...

NK
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:36:51 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Nathan K. wrote:
Jilly,
I think you'd like Peter Stone's other book better: THE ORIENTAL RUG LEXICON. Hands-down my most often used book...

NK

Thank you, Nathan! I was only drawn to the one above cause it appeared it might teach a handy and pro active, do it yrself person how to repair that once splendid rug and resell it.

Embarrassing, right? lol d'oh!

Nathan K. Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:07:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

No, ORR is a good repair guide, although a lot of the photos in the later editions sort of resemble photocopies. I'd invest in a used 1st edition from www.rugbooks.com or www.rugbookshop.com.
If you want to learn repair, the National Institute of Rug Cleaning has rug repair workshops, usually 3 days long. They are usually taught at Thea Sand's shop (Emmanuel's) in Seattle, or by David Zahipor(sp?) in DC. Class sizes are purposely kept small, and there is no course outline. You simply bring a rug with you needing repair, and tell them what you want to learn. When I took the class I learned to reweave a hole from scratch. I also learned that it takes me so long (and I am such a perfectionist!) that I realized I'm much better off subcontracting repairs to someone who grew up doing it. :)
On the plus side, the course did make me a much better repair estimator. I now know enough about repair to explain to my customers in detail what repairs are needed and how they will be performed.
If you want to speculate on rugs (which I advise against, BTW), I'd look for Caucasian rugs WITH GREAT COLOR that are in poor condition and selling for next to nothing. Invest a couple thousand in expert repairs and you might have a rug that will sell for 10K, even in today's market. As far as I know, ALL rug values are way down right now except Caucasians, and I attribute this to rug dealers taking advantage of the market (and other dealers who are cash-strapped).

Enough info to keep you busy for a decade, lol...

NK
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:00:45 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hey, Nathan!

You are a virtual cornucopia, you are. lol I am sure the links you posted will be most useful to many here!

Let me clarify: I am purely, pro actively interested in more things than anyone can bear and I get truly emersed in most. but that one lovely Sarouk triggered one of the few interim impulses, not one with roots. Then, I have minus 12 interest in speculating on anything.....from equities to rugs to The Final Four. This interim thingy was manifestation of my distilled but protracted rug hunt.....early in which I found this community and got bitten.

While I considered dozens of rugs, for reasons shared in other threads, I was looking for either an antique Sarouk or neo Sarouk.The former, in th4e condition of one I had to sell a while, was beyond my budget, and I ended up with the latter and it was carefully chosen; I can almost not believe it still. but I look at the floor and there it is!

I can just picture you in The Class, the humble rug washer NOT. lol And as long as perfectionism isn't blind allegiance to often doctrinaire rules which truncate......it should be celebrated!

I also think your presence here has potentiated the dynamic/lifefore/essence of this site, you have both impressive colors and construction (lol).....and if you ever leave, someone will hunt you down, fold you, roll you into a neat cylinder.... and bring you back. lol