Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rug Pad?
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:47:26 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

I will hopefully soon receive my new Jilly Rug......an event which would not have been possible without my having found and become obsessively involved in this community. It feels like 5 years ago at least. lol

Now, I will still have large, ugly but well hand knotted rug I found in the garbage....and abhor the thought of trying to sell I cause I can't believe anyone would buy it, and I know it will be some kinda hell. So, might be a while. Would it be good if I just put the Jilly Rug on top of the garbage rug? Until I gird my loins to try to sell the garbage rug?

This is serious question, OK?

Also, assuming, by dint of some miracle, I eventually sell the garbage rug. Then, would I need a pad to put under the Jillyrug? My mother never once used pads under her rugs which were antique.....and they were very happy. My floors are oak.

Thank U.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

netjim Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:26:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Depending on which rug pad you get, it can add a measure of comfort as well as
actually allowing just a little better circulation which can help in vacuuming your rug.
In many cases the pad is most helpful in limiting or eliminating slipping. With the inexpensive
machine made rugs it is absolutely needed to protect the finish of the floor and especially
over tile or stone, to keep the rug from moving across the floor ... yep, depending on the
rug and the floor, it can slip right out from under you as you walk.

There are those that say "no" to pads period. After all, rugs have been around a lot longer than the pad and have lasted and lasted. Of course, in many cultures the first thing that happens when entering the home is take off your shoes.

I think in your case it's mostly going to be a matter of choice/preference. When you get to
that point remember that thicker may not be better but the "new" pad that is sort of
rubber/latex on one side and felt on the other is more durable and more comfortable.

#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:39:41 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Thank you for this detailed data. I think my more atypical and initial issue.....eluded cause, OK, it is a little NUTS.

I think when I have ONLY my new Jillyrug.....I will probably get a pad. I used one under my antique Sarouk, cause when I had it washed they told me I should get one and they brought it when they broought the rug back, and all yr points are well taken.

My initial issue is.....and I will now paste form my initial post...I know THIS IS HARDLY CONVENTIONAL QUESTION:

Now, I will still have large, ugly but well hand knotted rug I found in the garbage....and abhor the thought of trying to sell I cause I can't believe anyone would buy it, and I know it will be some kinda hell. So, might be a while. Would it be good if I just put the Jilly Rug on top of the garbage rug? Until I gird my loins to try to sell the garbage rug?

This is serious question, OK?.

Deep breath, keep an open mind....yoy will never get this question again. lol
netjim Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 7:16:57 AM(UTC)

yoo hoo....rugpro Eh?

My best WAG would be that it will most likely be just fine. My concern would be for possible color runs - old to new - in the event of some spills. But I also note that rug on rug has happened for many many years.

hmm, I wonder.....would/could it be helpful for the one on the bottom to be reversed?
No, I really don't know but am wondering.

RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 9:46:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I agree with Netjim, I don't think there's a question about the need for a pad. there are multiple reasons why rug pads should be used.

I would not put this new rug over the old area rug. I would sell the old one. Someone will love it. There are numerous reasons why I would not recommend this unless it were wall-to-wall. Netjim, I am going to compile some of my rug books soon to augment the other post Dancing I cant wait! I just want to be thorough. Every time I pick up one of my books, I see it in a new light and catch things I didn't before. I may even re-read some.
#6 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 4:11:19 PM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
yoo hoo....rugpro Eh?

My best WAG would be that it will most likely be just fine. My concern would be for possible color runs - old to new - in the event of some spills. But I also note that rug on rug has happened for many many years.

hmm, I wonder.....would/could it be helpful for the one on the bottom to be reversed?
No, I really don't know but am wondering.

Truly? The rug on Rug tradition has profound roots in history? lol Not sure why but I find that cute.

Color run would not be an issue.....the garbage rug I now know only because of Pro....isn't total garbage, Finely knotted, good wool, etc.,,,,just someone like you would pay money to keep it out of yr personal environment re the ugliness. lol

Be4fore I came here and them looked at thousands of rugs and briefly had one with color run....i did not know that existed. Now I know all about it and I still can't believe it.
I am trying to weasel out of dealing with trying to sell it....shame on me.

Thanks for all yr imput!
#7 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 4:15:26 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
I agree with Netjim, I don't think there's a question about the need for a pad. there are multiple reasons why rug pads should be used.

I would not put this new rug over the old area rug. I would sell the old one. Someone will love it. There are numerous reasons why I would not recommend this unless it were wall-to-wall. Netjim, I am going to compile some of my rug books soon to augment the other post Dancing I cant wait! I just want to be thorough. Every time I pick up one of my books, I see it in a new light and catch things I didn't before. I may even re-read some.

I knew you would say this, and I kinda knew why....I was trying to get people to help me procrastinate. But I think....for once, you are wrong in something: "Someone will love" the garbage rug.

But...from your mouth to The Rug God's ear.

I gues,s should we all survive what is unfolding....and I manage to end up with only the new rug....I will get the pad. Can't delete "multiple reasons." One, maybe....multiple, not so much.

"Thorough"=good.
netjim Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 4:24:28 PM(UTC)

uh, how about
someone will want the garbage rug?

That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. Applause

heh, I have a "line" I use almost every day when showing rugs. Almost always, someone will go "eewww" at one of them (I do show a variety of styles) - they hate the color, design, whatever.

I have a saying, "Every rug has its place .... just maybe not my place."
Dancing
#9 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:15:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
uh, how about
someone will want the garbage rug?

That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. Applause

heh, I have a "line" I use almost every day when showing rugs. Almost always, someone will go "eewww" at one of them (I do show a variety of styles) - they hate the color, design, whatever.

I have a saying, "Every rug has its place .... just maybe not my place."
Dancing

More cute. And OK, positive thinking, point taken, yadda yadda. But I have some sense of wut U know and yr eye....and I seriously doubt yo wouldl ever have a rug this ugly to SHOW, Ok?

I can attest, SOMEONE...living in my building who lives on 11 OR 12.. liked it enuff at some point in time, to have bought it...prolley paid serious money even, now that I have learned the specifics from Pro, I was stunned........cause when they THREW IT OUT, Get that part, OK?--THREW IT OUT...I found it neatly folded and rolled for the porter to pick up on the service stairwell landing.

Even someone with deep pockets and the essence of profligacy would have to SERIOUSLY despise something worth hundreds of dollars to THROW IT OUT, ARE WE GETTING THIS? (omg, who could Blame them?)

And while I do get yr point re how subjectve taste is....there is yr basic Eeeeewwwwww!....and there is yr Eeeeeeeeeew BLECH!!!!

To logically extend the Baskin Robbins analogy....U know someone who would buy the "Depressed and defeated dark grape with Carmel florid sprays & Praline" cone? I happen to know they, Baskin Robbins, launched this, the flavor of this rug ,once...and in under a week, they lost 72% of their client base, OK? There were also 3 law suits!!!

Seriously, I am nourished by everyone's positiveness. I hope, SOON.

Truth is....I can't fake well. I am so horrified by this rug....tho feel very blessed to have found it just when Rug God put it there so at least for 6 years, after having to sell MY ANTIQUE SAROUK... I din have to be reminded by seeing huge bare oak floor.

But I also get people who need to sell something should to be perky and positive about that ITEM. And, should this at some point lead so a human actually coming to see it....I am not sure if I could avoid crying and apologizing.
In those last....I am not kidding.

Tell me....how do YOU deal with showing a rug you secretly abhor? Is about smiling and working to amalgamate positive things about the thing? Remember....YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL AND THAT BEARS WEIGHT inherently and in commerce CONTEXT!!! I thought about it and, re a Craigslist listing all I can come up with is " 9 X 12 Sarouk found in the garbage with dk Navy field, hand knotted with 144 KPSI, COUPLA RAISINS squashed into and inexorably entwined with the fringes, pls do not throw up in my apartment, but I RELATE"... is all I can come up with. At least it's HONEST.

Can we get now I need to find a way of perking up? Of FEIGNING??? Some attitude transplant? Drink some SNAKE OIL? Some Crystal meth perhaps?

Out of the thousands of rugs I have obsessively scrolled thru during my interminable (felt like) Rug Hunt, I can tell you, while many generated wincing and audible shrieks......not once did I come upon anything like this thing, OK?

Ok just got....I could also say "unusual."

Truly and seriously.....this works back to an inability to feign ....while I think bears huge upside and is, in many ways a blessing.....also, in this world, sometimes has a downside.

Example...Pro, who is grounded and caN be pragmatic.....warned me...too late, of course....when he got I was in luv with the MA Indo sarouk and would try to get it....I should Curb my Enthusiasm. I had already sent unabashed hysteria joy mail to the Gallery. See this? I can not fake a dearth of interest iN anything which brings me delight ....NOR nausea at anything which generates the opposite.

But knowing now, via Pro, it is not total, ACTUAL garbage....I could not live with myself if I can't find the corage to try. Why can't I just tell the truth and if someone is lame enuff to like it, I could live with myself more on that basis.

#10 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:18:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi again,

Looked at TONS of rugs pads. My take is this is the best one:

http://www.csnrugs.com/a...p;sku=VD1003#additional

And also not the most expensive one. While not natural material like wool felt, the stuff in the middle, I believe is the ticket. In its composition it is very much like what the cleaners of my sarouk....very long established local Persian rug people here in NYC...brought when they brought the rug back after cleaning (&, ok refringing) it. I mean what looks like wool felt fibre but is man made.

Does anyone use this pad? Am I right that this is a good choice?

netjim Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:50:51 AM(UTC)

Yes, good choice. Applause
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:42:54 AM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
Yes, good choice. Applause

Thanks! Now officially dittoed, and SO, in 10 mins or so.....SOLD!!!!!!

Dancing
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:04:20 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Just bought this using PaylPal....I luv PayPal.....and no shipping charge! Was like 109 total. I am very excited!!!!! So is the new Jillyrug. Thanks again!
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2009 11:50:01 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi.

Rug pad was here when I came home. Says on INSERT: for hardwood, put waffle side (rubber) down. This will mean the manmade felt fiber side will be up against the underside of my new rug. This side of this new pad is very ROUGH. I did not expect this. The pad they brought when they returned my newly washed Sarouk was felt but both sides were smooth. Why wouldn't this roughness hurt the underside of my new rug?

Wouldn't there be some kinda ABRASION????
netjim Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:11:44 PM(UTC)

#16 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:30:01 PM(UTC)
Groups:

netjim wrote:
Nope.

lol FAB U LOUS!!!!!!!

But it really is like 80 grit sandpaper. I will now hilite & delete this from the worry file in my brain.

lol

Thanks!

Now must trim the sandpaper.
File Attachment(s):
DSCN0375.JPG (1,533kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Jilly attached the following image(s):
DSCN0376.JPG
#17 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 9:29:08 PM(UTC)
Groups:

New question:

The long edges of the fab new Jillyrug must go under furniture, tho not much (coupla inches) and only in places. I trimmed the new rugpad to fit the rug, but not sure if I should trim the long edges of the pad so only the rug per se goes under furniture or if I can leave it so both the rug and the pad goes under the furniture.
Nathan K. Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:47:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Think of rug underlayment as shock absorbers are to a car. It absorbs impacts and minimizes both traffic wear and wear to the knot-backs. A good pad will double the life of a rug in a high traffic area. Personally, I use and sell DuraHOLD by No-Muv, but yours looks very similar and at a much better price. Some of the inferior pads soft rubber side will oxidize and crumble prematurely, but I note yours has the Good Housekeeping seal (and RugPro's rec!) so I'm sure you'll love it. I usually cut it 1.5" short of each side & end, including the area under furniture. You can use the scraps as "shims" under the rear legs of furnishings (or along the back of bookshelves) only partially on the rug, to level them.
Again, congrats on the great score! Dancing
RugPro Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:01:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Nathan K. wrote:
You can use the scraps as "shims" under the rear legs of furnishings (or along the back of bookshelves) only partially on the rug, to level them.

Great tip!
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:23:41 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Nathan K. wrote:
Think of rug underlayment as shock absorbers are to a car. It absorbs impacts and minimizes both traffic wear and wear to the knot-backs. A good pad will double the life of a rug in a high traffic area. Personally, I use and sell DuraHOLD by No-Muv, but yours looks very similar and at a much better price. Some of the inferior pads soft rubber side will oxidize and crumble prematurely, but I note yours has the Good Housekeeping seal (and RugPro's rec!) so I'm sure you'll love it. I usually cut it 1.5" short of each side & end, including the area under furniture. You can use the scraps as "shims" under the rear legs of furnishings (or along the back of bookshelves) only partially on the rug, to level them.
Again, congrats on the great score! Dancing

Shims! EX CELLENT. Also acute catch re Good housekeeping thingy. I have retroactive happier in this choice now. lol I knew it was V good price and they sent it immediately. Also, truth is the pad still protrudes on all 4 edges around 1/4". I was afraid to cut too much off. May appear tiny thingy.....but yr less stringent margins are very liberating for me!

I also relate to use creative ingenuity to solve problems. Learning the tenets of a given orthodoxy is not hard and ho hum. Being inventive=total kick and the real adventure.

Let me go and get the shears again!

Also good analogy re shock absorbers....another might be I think, what overpriced Nikes & Reeboks are purported to be and......aren't.

Thanks so much!