Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Estimate for rug
williamtt Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 7:56:35 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Can you help me with an estimate for this one too please ?

MULTICOLOR RUG:
Origin Iran
Style Frahan
Province Markazi
Foundation Cotton
Pile 100% Wool
Colors Cream, Navy Blue, Rust Red
Size (Feet) 8' 0 x 6' 4
Age 40-50 Years(Semi Antique)
Weave Hand Knotted
Condition Good (Low Pile)
KPSI 100

Thanks,
William
williamtt attached the following image(s):
1 full.jpg
back.jpg
close up.jpg
tag.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 9:37:57 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I may be retroactively rug saturated, but I think I saw this puppy on ebay in a no reserve auction. What are they asking for this? Does it say dealer or private party? I mean the label is still on the rug, notice.

Plus, if those aren't the original images form eBay, my name ain't Jill.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:16:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

It's a nice rug, but I agree that this is one of those VA ebay seller's photographs. At least the top one is. These can be found on ebay for anywhere from $ 0.50 - 5 per foot on ebay depending on condition.

How much are they asking for this piece?
williamtt Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:26:36 AM(UTC)

Bidding is on ... currently in the ~ $80 range ... it will probably go up higher (i think) ... Excuse my ignorant questions... the rug is handknotted, wool on cotton.. that in itself should be worth something right ?
Given the above conditions, is $240 ($5 X 48 sq.ft) the high end that you can expect to get this rug at ?
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:23:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I plugged the values given by the seller into Rug Rag's "Estimator Pro" and was given an approximate value of $144 (a far cry from the seller's listed $3000+ retail). And, like I said, that was using information THEY provided. Personally, I think that the knot count may be lower than they stated, and I think that I would list this carpet's condition as "fair" not as "good." SO that being said, I think that the $144 would be more than appropriate.

The problem is the serious wear- that is the foundation showing in a number of places. While this seller seems to be very forthcoming with these problem areas (just look at the photos), these carpets are not collectible and in the industry they are considered less than "seconds goods." Yes it is a handknotted wool on cotton carpet, but by no means would a carpet of this vintage and this condition go for a retail value of $3000+.

HOWEVER: This carpet does have a good amount of appeal. Aside from the seriously worn areas, the general wear is pretty subtle, which allows the carpet to maintain an attractive look. Like we've heard so many times before: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A carpet's worth is what you are willing to pay for it...

Take a look at some sales that have completed similar carpets with "Frahan" attribution (I have never heard of a "Frahan" but to each his own...)

Nathan K. Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:36:15 PM(UTC)

Values are not my area of expertise, but I will say this - that's one of the better eBay Hamadan rugs I've seen. It's been chem washed (aren't they all?), but I see some nice greens there, and no offensive colors. It looks like it's easily worth a couple hundred bucks!
So did you buy it, William?