Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vacuum Cleaner Question
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 11:03:23 AM(UTC)
Groups:

What is the general rule for using the power head with rotating brush of yr vacuum cleaner on hand knotted rugs? Is it always wrong as my mother was convinced, or, is it OK do use it once in a while?

If the rug is dense and well made, how could it hurt the rug????
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 11:37:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

For your rug, a beater is fine.

Since you just got it, I would recommend you first vacuum the back several times with the rug completely upside down. Make sure the rug is getting good contact from the beater. After that, just fold the rug in half and sweep up any debris. then vacuum the front several times.

You don't have to vacuum the back frequently, every 6 months or year should be good. vacuum the face as needed. be sure to rotate the rug annually.

also see:

http://www.rugrag.com/po...r-of-Oriental-Rugs.aspx

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Rug-Rag-Tip-of-the-Day!.aspx
#3 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 12:55:29 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
For your rug, a beater is fine.

Since you just got it, I would recommend you first vacuum the back several times with the rug completely upside down. Make sure the rug is getting good contact from the beater. After that, just fold the rug in half and sweep up any debris. then vacuum the front several times.

You don't have to vacuum the back frequently, every 6 months or year should be good. vacuum the face as needed. be sure to rotate the rug annually.

also see:

http://www.rugrag.com/po...r-of-Oriental-Rugs.aspx

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Rug-Rag-Tip-of-the-Day!.aspx

Excellent! I will do this! Never vacuumed the back of a rug before, but now get why this is good idea!!!! Word "beater"......eeeewwwww.

Thanks!!!

Edit....I am doin rug stuff as per the above, fast as I can....just struck me....while, OK< I had my amazing Sarouk washed, they refringed cause they said I should...and brought special pad when they brought it back....I never vacuumed the underside, never rotated it....and NOTHING EVAH HAPPENED TO IT. Put dropcloths on it to build stuff.....big mess, sawdust, pounding...all manner of things....never blinked.

That is why, after finding here, I came to get the old really good Sarouks....like iron. Truly, the giant one.....was absolutely perfect.

I am sure my new one will require more attention.....but that is just fine.
#4 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 2:04:28 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I am rushing to get things done before I must log onto eve work.....I did all of the above, see why we need to vacuum underside...plus there was stuff I hadda sweep up. I even made pics with dying NEW Nikon. Now.....I folded it long way then foldd it short way. Do I now roll it? Or should I only fold it one way and then roll it? First pic one fold, second pic two folds.

I know....beginner questions.....but if I do not know, I gotta ask.

PS this thing weighs a TON. Had I not been able to SLIDE IT down service stairwell.....I could never have gotten it down & in here......cause service elevator closes at 5 PM.....nite porter opens it to pick up garbage I think around 2AM.

Gotta work.....no hurry, can't do anything further for several hours.

Thank U.

Edit: I think Larry folded the Jilly rug both ways.....like quartered it and then rolled it, bound it and put in plastic and then in carton. But it is SOFTER than this rug, not as rigid---garbage rug, while in need of a washing, always was... NOT DRY AND BRITTLE, PLS GET THAT...these are two different rugs.
File Attachment(s):
DSCN0319.JPG (1,480kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
DSCN0321.JPG (1,640kb) downloaded 3 time(s).