Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How to Choose an Oriental Rug
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 5:50:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Good for the Newbies It's an article posted on CNN homestyle and living. People do get "tied up in knots" as they say. Although KrowGyrl, I know you judge the piece by the aesthetics as it should be.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:12:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

That's a good article. I like the reference to the "soul" of a room. I have sold a few carpets out of my home to special clients, friends or friends of friends or people who I know are serious about wanting a carpet and I don't mind having them in my home. I will make a great lunch for them and have an afternoon showing. The last person who came fell in love with three carpets. She asked me tentatively what I thought about her taking them home on trial as she is extremely fussy on color with the rest of her decor. I know who she is and could trust her taking them and that she would bring them back if they didn't work out. Well, they dind't work out because the light in her apartment was not the same as my light. I was disappointed that she could not make a home for the carpets she had loved, and not to have made a sale of course. But I wanted her to love them every time she looks at them, not be disappointed, and stuck with them. So I was glad to take them back. I am sure I am wildly naive at this point that each customer is going to love and cherrish these rugs as I want them to be, but that is how I am trying tio place them. And the story, the soul, and the magic is a part of it and that is a very tricky thing to weave into the carpet buying experience, but it's central, and I think I can do a pretty good job of it. This is also what I was getting at with the relationship between the Merchant and the buyer.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:27:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

People are so particular about rugs. Yes, lighting within a space makes a big difference, so does the actual physical orientation of the carpet within a room. But one of the biggest challenges has to do with holding off on the carpet to be the last thing they decorate with. In reality, a rug should be decorated from. SO many people insist they don't want the rug to feature a tiny bit of this color, or even a hint of that tone, which is great. But the real issue at hand is often times the customer is attempting to match a $3000 carpet to pre-existing interior elements.

Starting with the rug and pulling out subtle colors with accents within the rug, such as topical colors, is the best way to go. I'm currently taking a film class, and one of the things we're talking about is the underscoring in movies with music, and what have you. While the visual imagery of a movie can be very powerful, the feelings and emotions never get truly extracted from the images until the music has been carefully calculated when and where to exist. I guess the baseline, or the cinematography, would be analogous to the carpet, which then dictates the precise placement/augmentation from the underscoring, or in this case the curtains, the fixtures and other interior elements. Silly analogy, but perhaps has validity.