Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cut Fringe
cyndilou Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 5:20:03 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

My husband and I brought a rug home from a local dealer to try out in our house and noticed the fringe appears to be cut off. This will be our first oriental rug if we decide to keep it. How concerned should we be about the fringe? Here is what I know about the rug: Ghom, 9'10" x 12'10", wool, 45 years old and they are asking $2100. The rug appears to be in good condition but just not sure about the fringe. Any input would be appreciated.
File Attachment(s):
DSC01685.JPG (2,010kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
DSC01690.JPG (2,247kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 7:56:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

hello cyndilou and welcome to the forum and congrats on shopping for your first carpet Dancing

valid concern with the fringe. to really say for sure we'd have to see photographs of the back, although from one image, it appears as though the fringe is knotted before turning into the structure of the carpet aka the warps. Just looks like a rough haircut to me.

I wouldn't worry about the shorter fringe from the standpoint of structural integrity seeing what appear to be knots :)

If you think it's shorter because of dry rot or bleaching that's another story - but doesn't seem to be the case at all. Appears to just be less than proper trimming or they may have cut off a bad stain as it appears to be a fairly "clean" cut.

You mentioned the price. if you haven't already purchased the rug and don't mind taking a few more pics like 1-6 we can take a look - maybe see if there are points worthy of negotiating if we note anything and you feel comfortable.

RugPro attached the following image(s):
knotsfringe.jpg
cyndilou Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:40:29 AM(UTC)

Here are a few more pictures of the rug.
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:49:49 AM(UTC)

Please don't forget to attach the images d'oh!
cyndilou Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:23:41 AM(UTC)

My first rug AND my first chat room!
File Attachment(s):
DSC01699.JPG (1,927kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
DSC01700.JPG (1,833kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
DSC01701.JPG (1,876kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
DSC01704.JPG (1,686kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
DSC01705.JPG (1,631kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
cloudband Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:47:27 PM(UTC)

Hi cyndilou,

It's a gorgeous rug. Fantastic and very beautiful, looks great in the space.

45 years sounds about right for age, and Ghom seems to be an accurate item description.

I would agree with Pro. If you have not yet decided to keep the rug, and do indeed feel comfortable negotiating, I would give it a try. What raises my suggestion is I've seen similar pieces on eBay. I also think I see some areas of lower/uneven pile.

I think there is room given the online market. Just be assertive but not confrontational.

If you want leverage, you may have to talk some rug talk.

Points to make are the following:

It seems like the rug has just a bit of oxidation, perhaps slightly inconsistent tea or herbal wash. If there are low areas, mention that too. To augment your position, tell them you've made note similar rugs of this genre, grade, colors, design and most specifically, size of 10x13 have an online market price of around $1000 and less. If they think I am mistaken with any of whats said in this paragraph, they can e-mail me directly. Attn: Dave info@rugrag.com I'd also be happy to see additional close up of pile to address wear issues.

This is all if you want to play hardball and provided condition is similar as I outlined above. If The Pile Has Uneven Height or has Knot Heads, expect 30-50% less in a showroom. If overall the rug shows no knot heads and you walk away with the rug for 30% less, I think this would be a fair retail price for both parties given this is a showroom.

Don't let them switch you to another rug, don't let them know your price areas. Don't focus on the price, focus on the condition and what other rugs go for. Don't volunteer numbers, ask them what they can do. If it goes in circles, tell them you're going to write the magic number on a piece of paper, if they accept good, if no, you may have to be willing to act like you're walking away.

This is a very attractive rug. At 2100, it's not a horrible price if even wear, but it's a New York City price in my opinion. You're profile says you're not in NYC.

David
Co-Founder,
RugRag.com
David Dilmaghani
Oriental Rugs
info(at)rugrag.com

Become a Fan of Rug Rag
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:44:54 PM(UTC)

I see some areas that are blotchy too. agreed that the rug is similar to most rugs on ebay but it is very different. I've seen some of these in new condition go for $35/ft. but many rugs that show a slight bit of wear decrease drastically in value, this would be one. I think price is a little high but not "astronomical". I think more photos would be a good idea. this one area looked a bit thin and lighter. Cyndi, do you see any low areas? if so, please post pics. the one area below is a sample of where we'd like to see. the lighter places of the rug.
RugPro attached the following image(s):
lowarea.jpg