Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

good article on homepage lavar kirman
Tabriz Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:46:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:24:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

That is really interesting. And ingeneous how people have clever ways of salvaging precious works of art while surgically removing any signs of patronage. If it were not an intentional desire to remove the image of a specific Shah, then one would imagine they could have as easily or more easily rewoven the restore the original image if damaged. Proof once more that often art outlives life. Great article.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 5:35:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I really wonder why they did that. It is a clever alteration though. Sometimes these rugs also had European figures woven into them. I wonder if that was the case with this carpet. It's a very pretty design, I especially like how the it's both female on one side and male on the other sharing the same tree. I'd be curious to see other examples similar that may be out there with the actual figure still woven in. I've seen a couple of these, but they're usually overseas as that's where the history is. Very fine weave too.
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:18:35 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Well, while I certainly don't know, there have historically been many examples of the same technique in other forms of art. Associated with "King Tut" there are several sarcophogi and other monuments that have the name chiselled out. Speculation being that they had been intended for the deposed Pharoah Akenaten and that his funereal implements were defaced and handed over to the trove of the boy Tutankamen. And we can all remember the toppling of a certain statue in Baghdad. Perhaps this carpet underwent such a transformation in 1979 or thereabouts.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:08:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Great point, The literal "defacing" of iconic figures absolutely has grounds in some of the most important historical figures. The interesting thing is that it was replaced with a this tree of life type of design. I wonder, some of these pictorial carpets take very, very skilled weavers to create. Possibly the re-weaver was unable to properly replicate what once was there? I just wonder if maybe the tree of life was a tribute to the life of such a ruler? The interesting thing is it appears as though some of the crown had been maintained, as there is one original feather which remained untouched.
RugPro attached the following image(s):
feather.jpg