Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A runner as a gift
Coastalcruiser Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:36:00 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

My wife was given this runner as a gift by a relative. The more we look at it the more we like it. Since we knew nothing about hand knotted rugs prior to receiving this runner we have read many books by the likes of Jacobsen, Jacoby, Franses, Schlick and others. The more we read, it seems, the less we really know about this very complex subject. We are excited that we have finally found your site where we can get expert opinions about this runner. Hopefully all of you out there can help us learn more about the age, style, design, origin, colors and other important facts about it. Does it have any value? Should we consider insuring it? If so, could you suggest a value. The tag says Russian Antique, Azerbaijan. There is one small section across the width of the runner near one end that is worn more than the rest of it. There is noticeable abrash (which we really like). To us it appears to have wool warp and weft. Selvages are overcast in brown. The large medallions are connected by a rather narrow line of knots the same color as the medallions. It has a rather "primitive" look to it but is very appealing to our eyes. The size is 17'3" X 3' 3". We see one small spot that appears to be moth damage (about the size of a nickle). There is a small repair (about 1 1/2 ") on one end that has been repaired--not noticeable on the top at all. Both fringe ends were reinforced with stitches back into the runner about 1/2 " before it was given to my wife. We have done nothing to it since we have had it but look at it. It probably needs washing. I will be glad to try and answer any questions. We will try to respond timely, but we do not stay at our computer all day--or even every day.

Anything you can tell us about this runner will be a great help to us. Thanks in advance taking a look and for any responses we get.
File Attachment(s):
Russian rug pictures 023.jpg (1,559kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 008.jpg (1,421kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 015.jpg (1,621kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 022.jpg (1,504kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 003.jpg (1,305kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 004.jpg (1,385kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 005.jpg (1,323kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
Russian rug pictures 006.jpg (1,430kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Coastalcruiser attached the following image(s):
Russian rug pictures 001.jpg
Russian rug pictures 018.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:55:16 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi there and Welcome.

I am just a beginner member, here, hunting desperately for a rug...but I do now know how to count knots at least. lol

We need to wait for Pro to give real Info......but to me, it looks like a hand knotted Luri-Lori runner. This would mean it was made in Southwestern Iran. I think this cause of the pattern and the asymmetry of the design and also the field color. I think it may also be not really new, which would be good, but doubt it is VERY old

KPSI appear to be around 75-80 give or take, I am sure this will give some info about its identity and origin.

Not sure about the "Russian" part tho there is a Russian part of Azerbaijan, the capital is Baku, but did find out that re "Azerbaijan"....."jan" is sacred concept, not open to translation simplistically, and means soul, spirit.....things very profound.

I also admire yr being moved to all that research!! Would everyone were in all things!

I too now will be most interested in The real Info.....and that you guys have come to really like it is important. This gift may be meant to infest you guys with The Rug Bug!!!
Edit: I just discovered than some Azerbaijan rug, including antique ones, also have asymmetrical designs. But to me, this still looks like a Lori,....which postulation, given its source, lol...means nothing.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:31:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Welcome to the forum

The rug appears to have several different influences regarding design and weave. unfortunately I can't exactly pin it down, but it's a nice looking rug.