Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is the worth of this rug?
Lilium09 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 6:12:49 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,
This is my first time in the form and I like the fast response of my email that I got from you. I have three rugs that I want to know about it, but first I want to start with the big one which is not my style. My husband bought this carpet from someone for $100. The carpet is big and has signs of wear. My husband got it as an investment. I want to know if it is worth of investment.
Thanks in advance.
Please look at the pictures in the link below. If you were not able to see the picture, I will try different way.

http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt239/Lilium09/
Lilium09 attached the following image(s):
P2081172.JPG
P2081200.JPG
P2081178.JPG
P2081180.JPG
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 6:22:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

appears to be an attractive 1950's tabriz. Do you have detail of the worn areas?
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 6:51:58 PM(UTC)

I see the photobucket link now. This may have been an eBay rug. Size in cm to feet and inches comes to maybe 10x12 or so. The rug has some conditional issues with a smal patch and knot heads. Figure something like this could be purchased on ebay for anywhere from $200-$350 from what i see.
Lilium09 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:06:34 PM(UTC)

So, it is probably not a good investment.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:16:50 PM(UTC)

It's not necessarily a bad investment, in fact there are ebay sellers that would try to get a lot more than 200-350 for this type of rug. Take this rug for example. The seller is asking a lot of money for it, and it's got significantly more wear than your rug appears to have. although your rug may have slightly coarser KPSI, generally, it would fall into a similar category as yours.

The problem is that seller is asking way above what the greater majority of these rugs sell for. Perhaps waiting for an unsuspecting buyer. My guess is this seller may purchase rugs off ebay for resale in their online eBay store, or has just placed an unjustifiable value on this particular piece.

Whether or not you want to resell it for more is up to you, but if you use local venues, it may take a fair amount of time. In my opinion, it would not be honest to sell a rug like this for more than $500 max, even in a "retail" setting. Private party would of course be a fraction of this. Then again, to get a synthetic machine made rug this size could run double the quoted "value" provided. There really is a price ceiling for these items. Not sure if you purchased specifically for resale, but it could very well have good potential, just depends on how long you want to sit on it for and unfortunately, whether or not the end user is familiar with the market value for a rug of this genre.

Lilium09 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:29:07 PM(UTC)

How about this one. This one is an Afghani rug, which I like the color and detail of it. This was a gift from my father in law. What is it worth? The pictures are in the link. It looks new and no signs of wear.

http://s615.photobucket..../Lilium09/Afghani%20Rug/
Lilium09 Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:38:14 PM(UTC)

Thanks for your information. I will not keep it because of the color and I will not sell it as much as in eBay price. This price looks very high for this quality.
Thanks again, you are great.
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:38:26 PM(UTC)

Lilium09 Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:42:05 PM(UTC)

5 x 7.5 feet
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 7:53:44 PM(UTC)

when you say what is it worth do you mean fair retail, private party, insurance, or other? Also, what do you know about this rug, how was it acquired and what was paid for it?