Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is this rug even worth a $80 wash, state of the rug economy
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 4:22:03 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Although I don't see any guls on this 3X5 rug the first thing I tought of when I saw it was "bukarha" or turkkoman. Is that correct? Sorry for the poor pictures, but it has been a long week and Im just too tired put too much into pictures. All varivations in color or look of stains are only the picture. I also realize I didn't include all the needed areas to clearly identify

It seems that rugs are going so cheap today that it's hard to put money into rejuvenating an average rug rather than just buying another better condition rug. It really is a shame how cheap hand knotted rugs are. However, I image the really "great rugs" will always keep their value. Also there are many more things today to classify as a shame than the price of a rug.

I know the answer to "if it is worth it" is how much I like it. With washing I will only have a $100 into the rug, and I do have a place to put it, but only if it cleans up much better than it is now. My final decision will be the answer "is it a bukara or turkoman and is there anything unique in the rug.

Thank you
File Attachment(s):
smallrfull.jpg (2,543kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
smallrborder.jpg (1,442kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
smallrcoin.jpg (1,369kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
smallrcoin2.jpg (1,344kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 7:04:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Hey Btuma

We'll we're in no rush here, please post with better photos when available. I can't really see anything from these other than it appearing to be a symmetrical knot with no offset. First photo I had trouble opening
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 8:42:46 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
Hey Btuma

We'll we're in no rush here, please post with better photos when available. I can't really see anything from these other than it appearing to be a symmetrical knot with no offset. First photo I had trouble opening

I as well. Can't download the full rug pic.
btuma6 Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:35:40 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

These should be somewhat better. Next question, the typical ivory color whites is camel color. Is there a possiblity this is made from camel hair? Don't know anything about camel hair except once I read something about using camel hair in place of dye. Would the area this rug comes from use camil hair?

The third picture attempting to show the pile is not as unfocused as it seems. The rug's detail work needs to combing and loses detail.
File Attachment(s):
smallrborder.jpg (1,442kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
smallcamel.jpg (1,417kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
smalldetail.jpg (1,255kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
smallbigger.jpg (1,743kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2009 10:43:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

looks like regular sheep wool pile on cotton foundation. Personally, with something of this size I would consider washing it myself to decrease expenses. This rug appears to be a Pakistani piece. I don't think it's jaldar, but it may be. Design is similar to "turkmen", but it's a new commercial piece. The value of these has a lot to do with how clear the pile is, or how close to new it looks. If you're really into purchasing rugs, I would let your local wash plant know that you could potentially bring them repeat business with pieces here and there you have for potential resale. This way if you bring them enough business, they could potentially give you just a bit of a discount.