Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

UNBELIEVABLE - PRIME EXAMPLE OF EBAY IDIOT SELLER
Tabriz Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:07:35 AM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Don't know where to start with this one... ITEM NUMBER 270224985709. I saw this rug and recognized it as carpet from well known importer by the name of Mehdi Dilmaghani and Co. I can tell by design and wash tag which is photographed.

I research more and found this carpet can be purchased NEW from Dilmaghani somewhere in the vicinity of $3000 as opposed to listed $7,500 USED on ebay by this moron ebay seller. Dilmaghani still has a few stock piece from when these were originally offered in 1970s.

I cant tell you how many incorrect claims are in this auction.

1 - this carpet is not French. It is Indian carpet with design made from Aubusson carpet.
2 - Rug is not retail value $35-50 k - This seller is a fool, and any rug dealer who would tell him this price is idiot.
3 - The starting bid is 2.5 times higher for this USED RUG than NEW rug.
4- If this moron will post a photograph of identification, he should do research to find out what rug is about.

This is big disregard for intelligence of consumer. Watch out because this guy has good feedback as many ebay sellers do, but when they sell misleading item like this, THEY CAN HIT JACKPOT.

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:28:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

HAHAHA

The seller probably is well aware of what this item is and is not: They revised the auction this morning from the stated age of 1970's-1999 to --. Although in the seller's defense, this could just be an entire misinterpretation, or given bad advise.

Take a look!
Mipsy Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:09:14 PM(UTC)
Groups: Dealers, Member

He said some rug dealer "looked at it"...wonder who that was?!?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:21:18 AM(UTC)

Bogus. Someone ought to contact this guy or complain to eBay.
KrowGyrl Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:40:36 AM(UTC)

Wow! I feel like I hit the Motherlode. I just happened to find this site. I am totally new to the scene. I have been buying carpets on ebay (175) over the last 4 months to do a small business. I live in Westchester County, NY (Yonkers) and am going to be taking a summer class at New York University in appraising and understanding fine Asian carpets with George Anavian. I held my breath while looking at all the carpets you guys "busted" and was glad to see I had not bought any of them, although I had looked at the "Moroccans" and didn't get the glow I needed so I passed. This is so cool to have found this. I have fallen so in love with my carpets, and I want to learn, learn, learn.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 6:50:05 AM(UTC)

Welcome aboard!

You absolutely can make some good purchases on eBay, but it does get tricky to buy online. Do you sell online too or just locally? I know Tabriz is from Westchester area as well - he's the one that's been so "diligent" to post these bad eBay listings.

What is your overall experience in rugs, do you have family in the business?
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:30:32 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the welcome RugPro ---

My experience with rugs is just buying a few over the years from junk shops and auctions. No family inthe business. i don't seel on line. I have been selling, just starting up actually, at an outdoor market in Manhattan. (a good market) along with the jewlery I make. So I am just a start up. But I have become totally swept away. I am amazed by the incredible personality these carpets have, the energy, they are organic, they are alive. Call me crazy, but I feel like a parent trying to make good marriages for my beloved children rather than trying to sell some commodity. They are all in my home, and even rolled up they look fantastic in my overall decorative scheme. I have sold a few to private clients. I serve a delicious home cooked lunch, and people come and play with them, drag them out, touch them, just get up close to them. And then hopefully buy. So clearly, this part of the program, the in-house showing, is not going to be on a wide scale, but I am enjoying it and am looking for ways to expand that. It's developing. But I am at the shore's edge, and I want to jump in and swim all the way out.

I have invested a small inheritance in these carpets and I think I have a good innate eye and sense, even though I need to learn a lot more. I am not buying super high end pieces. Not my league. But everything I have gotten has come and been more than I hoped for, with only one or two exceptions.

Years ago in California, pre-1975 shall we say, I had a wonderful store that sold Afghan carpets. The guy sort of took me under his wing and had me hang out and just learn and soak up everything he had to teach me. That was a long time ago. But for me, the soul and spirit of these carpets is very important and I get it. So there I am. And I am SO glad to have found this site. Thank you!
RugPro Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 8:48:53 AM(UTC)

Indeed rugs should be viewed more than just a commodity. People do not realize they're more than just decoration, they're a testament to artisan craftsmanship. What are some difficulties you've found with selling online? Have rugs been a hobby for you? I'm curious because many people who buy and sell carpets often do so on the side.
KrowGyrl Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:17:54 AM(UTC)

Have rugs been a hobby for you? I'm curious because many people who buy and sell carpets often do so on the side. >>>>

It has been a strange story. I have adored them from afar for decades, since the '60s. Over the years I have bought ten of them, small ones, 5x7 or less and one huge eating mat with long braided fringe tassels from Afghanistan back in the early '70s. So a couple of years ago I started looking on eBay and bought a couple. I started the jewlery company and started selling in my booth, and since I had the "funky tribal" thing and I saw the Balouchi carpets were very inexpensive and really cool, I started buying some to throw into the booth to add beauty and more of a feeling and story to my whole presence. Then something happened that allowed me to amass a whole inventory, so I started buying heavily in November. I'm done now for the time being, with the buying that is. I have had a couple sold to clients that came to my house and I made them lunch and they looked at carpets and bought a couple. I have sold a few in the booth. But by no means have I started in earnest yet because I did not feel strong enough in my knowledge to put myself in the face of customers and ask for money for something I did not know enough about. It's one thing to learn about something to satisfy a private dilletante's fantasies, and quite another to place oneself, even in a limited way, in the face of experts and potential customers. To me, learning through such a purchase is as important as just acquiring something. This is how I was trained by the merchants I bought wares from back in the '70s and '80s. So, I am taking the class at NYU over the summer that meets in the instructor's shop in Manhattan. And I have been combing web sites such as this one for infor. And of course I have bought books. So I am still feeling out where this is going. And oh yeah, I do this "on the side." I am a freelancer who does a lot of different things "on the side" in hopes of making enough to stay afloat. So far so good, but I am watching what is happening to everybody in this new economy.
RugPro Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:28:27 AM(UTC)

In regards to the new economy, it certainly has become more apparent of continued uncertainty. However I do believe there are niche markets for such goods.

It looks like either admin or cloudband added the new board for eBay sellers. Although very familiar with the eBay thing, relatively speaking, I'm sure you all have had much more experience online with buying and selling than I.

I look forward to your postings KrowGyrl on online sellers!
admin Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:49:39 AM(UTC)
Groups: Administration

We would like to thank everyone for their contributions on this forum, and give a hearty *welcome* to many new members over the last several weeks. We're very happy to see activity in posting on these boards, however would like to remind everyone to please remain on topic when making posts!

If anyone has suggestions on a new category to start, please feel free to run it by us by e-mailing info@rugrag.com, we will consider the suggested category and post it as quickly as possible.

-Admin
Kazak Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:00:22 PM(UTC)

This is a classic example of someone who has little or no knowledge about what he's selling. It seems he's been misinformed and hopes to make big bucks on his find. Unfortunately, he might do a good deal of damage to an unsuspecting buyer.

Any true rug person will attest to the inaccuracy of this listing and the seller's misinformed claims. The rug is undoubetdly an indian made rug and worth a fraction of what he's claiming.

It's too bad EBay does not provide some method for knowledgeable individuals to flag flagrantly incorrect or misinformed listings.
Tabriz Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 12:35:08 PM(UTC)

Seller now lowered start bid to $3,500 from $7,500. No self respecting dealer would pay $3,500 as this guy say they will. Item was reported to by someone who had seen it here on the forum which is good to know.

Still over price, but better than it start. He still say "A LARGE FINE RUG WOULD COST 3 TIMES THE STARTING PRICE TO PURCHASE ON TODAYS MARKET" Which is not true. Like I said, same rug except new can be found for $3000 or so.
KrowGyrl Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 12:55:27 PM(UTC)

A few months ago a friend and I were in Cold Spring, NY (the little strip of shops inside on the main street) And a guy had what was clearly a machine made tapestry, early 20th century latest, that he was foisting off on us as a 13th century Roman Catholic altar cloth. It's all we could do to keep a straight face to hear out the yarn. Nothing from the 13th dcentury is in a little hole in the wall junk store. Textiles in the 13th century were not machine made ... Hmmmm And thirdly this was of no motif any Catholic church would ever use on an altar or any other ritual furnishing. I'm telling you, the stories are as good as the genuine finds.
Tabriz Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 1:04:54 PM(UTC)

Maybe so. but when this mistake is not clear to peoples like this rug seller is doing now, it can be very expensive a story to pay. Plus, you buy on internet, its not as much interesting as if you go to Cold Spring in person.
KrowGyrl Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 1:36:37 PM(UTC)

Plus, you buy on internet, its not as much interesting as if you go to Cold Spring in person. >>>

Very true. But then I would not pay many thousands of dollars for ANYTHING sight unseen on the internet. The price point where I am dealing on eBay is where I set the comfort zone. At my level of knowlege, what can I afford to bid on and take a bath if I guess wrong?