Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Question on Iranian borders and "what is this"
btuma6 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:05:11 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Do all Persianrugs , in the classic sense f the word, have defined border decoration.? This rug has some "classic" motifs, but no border so I don't know where this would place this rug. It's not a rug that I find that beautiful, but being a rugaholic I couldn't help passnig up a 8X13 rug for $180. However, now that I got it home, my thought is why. I'll put it on Craiglist, but why do all this work on a rug that is merely cheap reather than a rug i find very attraction and can use in my house for a time

Thanks,
Btuma6
File Attachment(s):
orefull.jpg (1,614kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
orecenter.jpg (1,969kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
orefrontcorner.jpg (2,010kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
cornercoin.jpg (1,719kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

RugPro Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:18:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

interesting piece. not sure what the proper term is for this type of border, i've always called it a "floating border" although this is not a proper rug term. A lot of different rugs had them but not frequent to find. doesn't increase rarity, but they seemed to be a little more popular around early second quarter 20th through early 3rd.
btuma6 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:36:23 AM(UTC)

Does that imply it could be Iranian with this border?
RugPro Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:31:05 PM(UTC)

Designs sometimes can help determine origin, but often they can be misleading. Really the best thing is to look at the structure. going by the structure of the rug in the image provided, it appears like this is a persian or Iranian rug.
btuma6 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 5:53:00 PM(UTC)

One another time you asked if I was testing you, which I wasn't, and I'm not now, but I moved the rug and found a tag. The tag says "najafabad". Googling najafabad, which I had previously never heard about, the rugs are much more detailed. If this was a najafabad would that still put it in 1930-60 range? The unfortunate thing is 1. I get carried away with the rug and don't notice everything that I should, 2. my wife pointed out that it has dye runs on it. There are spots you can see on the second pictures where the red had run into the center motif and border. Any hints on correcting the runs, except for a large sofa to hide them.
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 7:20:37 PM(UTC)

correcting dyes is very tricky from what my experience has been. oddly enough, i have actually seen "successful" removal of color run with chemicals, only to see it somehow reappear after a few years. I know that sounds weird, but whatever technique they had used on this was actually temporary because the rug was never washed after fixing, but somehow it just was not a permanent fix and came back.

Generally the problem with color run is often if the rug ran once, it will again after another wash or bad spill. "Correcting" color run can be somewhat of an investment and not always successful.

Per age I can't imagine this design would have been made after the mid 60's. Design is early 2nd early 3rd quarter 20th, but rug probably 1950s or 1960s.

I think 1930 would be a bit old for a rug like this only because the areas which would be making a design this adventurous during that time would often be a formal city workshop. However knot density and weave do not indicate a highly refined workshop weaving. It seems a coarser quality. A design coming from a formal workshop would take time to trickle down to smaller city rugs with somewhat less formal workshops as I believe this to be although I could be mistaken. The name mentioned seems to be a blanket for north eastern Iran production. Exactly what it is I cannot say.

for a quick fix on the color run, i hate to suggest this only because i personally do not believe in it, but there are sellers who would chalk this just a bit with ivory oil pastels. Others may give it a tea wash although to make this color fast would take time and a small scale washing plant and often does not come out consistent in used rugs due to varying pile height, color run, stains or possible stain protection treatment. I think the best thing to do would be to sell as is.