Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Sweet little piece on Ebay
RugPro Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:25:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

I thought this was a nice little piece on eBay, sorry to have missed it. I don't think it's as old as the seller states, and it appears as though it may have slight color run, but a nice keepsake nonetheless.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

KrowGyrl Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:41:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

Yeah, I like that. It is a little "too sweet" for my tastes but it's cute. I like these postings that show rugs you like and your opinions on them. That's really helpful too. It's nice to compare.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:49:46 AM(UTC)

Thanks. The quality of the weave looks very nice, the knots are nice, tight and even on the back and show almost as well as the front. Although I'm not all that fond of the green terciary border - leads me to think it's a piece at the tail end of Sarouk production for the American Markets as we know it. I'd place it somewhere in the late 40's - late 50's, especially given that it doesn't appear to be painted which was typical 20's to mid 40's.

The pile looks like the wool is blooming a little bit, and it's got that classic hard rolled edge that sometimes folds under the rug when laying flat, but overall I think that would have been one of the better investments I've seen perusing eBay recently, definitely has the potential for good resale, but then again it is from an individual seller :) know how you feel about that...
KrowGyrl Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:04:44 AM(UTC)

but then again it is from an individual seller :) know how you feel about that... >>>

Well it depends on the seller. If I see a seller I have not used before, I look at the holism of what they are selling. If all they are selling is rugs, or other fine items, okay, they pass the first test. If someone is selling one rug and 1,000 pieces of beer memrobelia, well, unless I just fall in love and have to have it myself, I'll pass. And here I am the greenest newbie on the block pontificating. But I do know what I like. And speaking of the green. Good feedback on the green on that carpet. I generally stay away from green, light green anyway, and any kind of pink. Just a personal thing. The exception is this ...

http://tinyurl.com/5onhyq

This is one of mine. Hideous color. HIDEOUS. I have no idea what possessed me to buy it on eBay but something did. I had to have it. When it came, it was the most gorgeous palate of salmons in a very cool and pleasing gentle abrash pattern. The color no more resembles the picture in the shot that black does to white. I have put it in photoshop and tried everything to tweak it around to the true color. Impossible. So it will have to be seen to be believed. It's so lovely. But you would never get it off that rotten pumpkin color.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:11:49 AM(UTC)

Agreed on the pink and greens. Actually green is from what I understand traditionally a taboo color to include in Oriental Rugs so far as the Iranians are concerned. Although within the last century this evidently changed significantly

jeepers on the orange rug. Was this rug reduced in size length and width? It is an interesting design though. I've always been partial to narrow borders, they usually look so good just outlining the perimeter of a rug with a beautiful field. Some beautiful examples of older silk Heriz carpets, Luri rugs and a couple others use these narrow introductions to much larger fields. Although it is tough to make generalizations as there are fairly few of these types out there, unusual to come across really.
KrowGyrl Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 9:34:24 AM(UTC)

jeepers on the orange rug. Was this rug reduced in size length and width?>>>

If it was, it's certainly not obvious and is finished off nicely. I bought a couple intentionally that were chopped and they look chopped, the balance is off, scale is off, all that, as well as the chop lines. If this was chopped it was done well, as far as my eye can tell. It looks great. And it's not pink, it's just the most wonderful palate of salmons. I was really pleased. Even though it is definitely not for my house. My own pieces in here are all dark .