Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Indian Silk, Red and Blue
jfahlen Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:02:08 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi all!

I posted yesterday for the first time, but now I have the requested pictures. I'll post a second run in a minute.

This rug is 6x9 ft, silk on silk, I count about 25x25 knots, but at the store they tell me that the actual count is twice that, for some reason I don't understand. I had them perform the burn test, and it behaved as your site says it should, balling up and smelling like burnt hair. They are asking about $6150 after the first bit of negotiating, which I think is far too high. What does everyone think?

Thanks!
jfahlen attached the following image(s):
indian_silk_full_de.jpg
Indian_silk_side_de.jpg
indian_silk_end_de.jpg
indian_silk_quarter_de.jpg
indian_silk_corner.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

jfahlen Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:28:25 PM(UTC)

Hi, I am in Hyderabad, India, about 13.5 hours ahead of the US. The store for this rug is called Handicrafts de India. The problem with buying rugs here is that the only stores I know of are those that our driver knows. My girlfriend is working here for Deloitte, we are both Americans from LA, and I'm just visiting. These stores primarily serve Americans working here temporarily. All the stores offer the "Deloitte discount" of about 30%, but this is only after hugely inflating the price. The problem is that many people who buy have no idea what prices and qualities are reasonable. In fact, I know nothing more than I've learned from visiting the stores and reading this site. Since so many buy at such inflated prices, they are reluctant to sell to those who negotiate harder. The first price they quoted for me for this rug was over $8000. No doubt many buy at this price. It seems to me that a reasonable price would be about $3000, or a little more.

I am very happy that I found this site. Hopefully it will keep me from getting ripped off, which is good. Every one of these tourist stores is filled with highly skilled rip off artists, so you have to really work at getting a decent price.

Jay
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:30:04 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

I hope everyone who is expert on this site is fast asleep. I know nothing which is why I am awake. lol I think the rug is splendid. ABSOLUTELY SPLENDID!!!! Verging on To Die For.

But I also think, just based on what I have learned lately here re silk on silk rugs.....they are asking too much for it. WAAAY too much. But I could be wrong.

that is very high KNSI. I can't do the actual firguring but just eyeballing says very high. But important to find out exactly given it impacts value.

What I would do were I you, while waiting for the experts here, is what I did other day for another member in love with a silk rug; he IS in India at the moment. Google hand knotted silk Indian rugs. Among the hyperlinks which I suggest you explore each of anyhow, including those from ebay, you will find the manufacturers of these rugs in India. Most sell them directly. Look thru their inventories, their data and their prices. It will educate you hugely.

Wait for the experts. Where is this store? In LA? What part of LA? And how would you characterize the store? Who are they? Who comprises their clientele? What demographic to they cater to?

If I may ask this, entirely selfish of me, what kind of camera are you using? It is excellent.

FABULOUS RUG!!!!!
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:37:16 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi agian,

I double posted without realizing it, I think you replied to my first, I did not see, I deleted my first and kept my second. Do not thiink about it, it will give you a headache, and shopping for rugs where you are already is.

pls follow my Googling suggestion. U will learn hugely and achieve perspective and knowledge is power. Then wait for the experts here. It is amazing rug, but there is no reason on earth you should be gouged or exploited.....I am impressed you are willing and able to even go there and try to deal. I could not if someone put a gun to my head.

Thanks for the clarifying info....it is very important.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:56:01 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Ok I am too sleepless to be able to think. Ae there two guys now, posting here, both in India who have, almost simultaneously, become besotted by silk Indian rugs? WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THIS HAPPENING?
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:19:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

Great Photographs

For what purpose are you considering purchase ? i.e. use, investment, etc.?
Where are you purchasing? store, bazaar, etc..
Where are you from?
Could you "take it or leave it"?
Are you comfortable negotiating.
Can you return items
KrowGyrl Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:00:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Dealers, Member

The first thing I would do was find a "friend" who can either accompany you or negotiate on your behalf. I'd visit several stores, have the eprson go with me, and very casually let them know what I am interested in. Then have the person go back and negotiate and haggle and get some prices and take a few days for this courtship to rippen. I have a suspicion that the methods are similar to elsewhere in Asia and it's not just a walk in and buy. Unless it really is just a tourist trap in which case, why on earth deal with such a place unless you are on a tight time schedule and money is no object. I read one travel journal of a guy who spent years in Central Asia and he bought a lot of carpets. His initiation into the buying scene sounded much more involved and thoughtful than most people in the west spend on picking out a spouse. And the legitimate dealers in the East expect to be engaged this way or else they just assume you are a tourist and will charge through the roof because everyone knows all westerners are rich. I'd get a friend who could help me. Even if you deal with the tourist store you can get any price down. It's such an art, and if you don't have the time, you need a friend who knows the buying and haggling culture.
jfahlen Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:16:23 AM(UTC)

Hi,

I have two separate posts, each with a different rug, this one and the one called Indian Silk 2, Green and Beige. I've read the links suggested by Jilly (thanks!) and am trying to take it to heart.

I will be buying simply for personal use in my home. I've always liked rugs, and I think it would be nice to have one to remember my trip by. I also thought that the prices would be better here, but I'm learning that that isn't necessarily the case. I realize that this puts me in a less favorable negotiating position, but I'm hoping I can get a decent price.

This rug is from a store called Handicrafts de India, in Hyderabad India.

I am originally from San Diego, US, but live in Los Angeles.

I have no problem making them think I'll take it or leave it, but probably in the end will get either of a few that I really like, though there's only one at each store that I might buy.

I am comfortable negotiating, and I want to play hardball, since they definitely are playing hard with me by exaggerating knot counts, telling me stories about how the family that makes rugs like this recently died or stopped making them and therefore this is the very last one, and so on. I offered them $2200, but they scoffed and went down to about $6000 from $8000.

I don't know about returns, but it is unlikely that such would be accepted in the actual event. I'd have to ship it back to India, and I would have a hard time trusting that I'd ever see my money back.

I like KrowGyrl's suggestion of having someone else negotiate for me, but in practice I don't think this is possible. I only have a few more days here too. It seems like the deck is stacked against me.

Is it possible to tell from the photographs if this price, $6000, is totally outlandish, or just on the high end? I would appreciate any kind of estimate. The Rug Estimator Pro gives a range from about $5000 to $9000, with the average around $6900. Is this accurate?

Thanks again.
RugPro Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:48:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

jfahlen wrote:

I am comfortable negotiating, and I want to play hardball, since they definitely are playing hard with me by exaggerating knot counts, telling me stories about how the family that makes rugs like this recently died or stopped making them and therefore this is the very last one, and so on. I offered them $2200, but they scoffed and went down to about $6000 from $8000.

I think for this one KPSI is 500 or so. Stick to your guns, it's all an act they're playing. Tell them you've seen what's out there, and you have a strict budget. Don't let their paltry attempts at coming down 2k let you think they don't have more room. They do, and probably a lot more. One of the problems with this forum is we talk a lot about the value and not the meaning of a rug. My feeling is don't fall in love with it until it's yours, no matter how beautiful it is. This rug is very nice looking... I would shop around, and let them know. Again, I would stay in the area of your noted offer, but not much more. Sellers overseas see people as a game. They want you to stay engaged, but try the walk out-routine... and be willing not to come back. They have to know you're wise to BS and that you can take it or leave it.

jfahlen wrote:

Is it possible to tell from the photographs if this price, $6000, is totally outlandish, or just on the high end? I would appreciate any kind of estimate. The Rug Estimator Pro gives a range from about $5000 to $9000, with the average around $6900. Is this accurate?

Thanks again.

Simply put, a rug needs to be seen in person to determine real "value" which even this can be subjective. There is a general market value for a rug of this type, knot count and fiber (provided it's real silk) etc.... BUT, if you're purchasing overseas, retail means nothing. If you purchased this in the states, chances are you could get it for way less than even 6k for that matter at a reputable place. However, you're not in the states, and you're not dealing with a store that will offer returns, etc. Again, stick to your guns, don't let their games phase you.

The rug estimator pro is accurate to some degree... but has not been programmed with EVERY rug and does not account for design, colors, etc. It's really for entertainment, and for the public to know there's more to rugs than KPSI and KPSI alone. Bottom line, presumably if a rug is purchased closer to the source with all sales final and higher risks involved, the rug should be WAY, WAY below a fair retail value. Unless you love the rug, don't even consider the first 4 counters they offer. They may go up and down and back and forth, but let them know you've had enough and be ready and willing to walk out at any time.

PS - if they offer you ANYTHING, do not accept - whether it be tea, water, etc. This is seen as an acceptance of what they're offering (more than just the gesture, but the rug and prices too), and you do not want to lead them on.

Anything they say about how great the rug is, brush it off. They'll try to romance it, but don't even play hard to get. That's a chase overseas sellers love. Act casual, and disinterested, like you can take it or leave it.