Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Absolutely Worst Thing I Evah Saw
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:51:33 PM(UTC)
Groups:

http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg Says made in China, Also says silk. Maybe it's fabulous and I am now an empty shell.
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

Bonn Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 8:06:14 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi Jilly!!!!

C'mon, JillEEEE, it's not that bad! Pretty, even! BUSY rug, but I like the colors! Don't rescind any compliments you gave me, OK? Angel

Questionable purchase on every level, i.e. seller's low feedback, unreturnable, low quality/not enough photos, no documentation. "Very flattering in any decor" is deeply misguided, too. NOT FABULOUS. PROBABLY gawdawfully worse in person, too, but.....

Nevah liked blah, moi!!!!

Whistle
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 12:18:28 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hey!

I ain't rescinding. So interesting re what forms and evolves our visions. I think about stuff like that. I might be able to deal with these colors iin a scarf. Tho I don wear scarfs.

For me, total Eeeeeewwwww cacophony. Not exactly symphonic. Symphonic can be busy and also genius, i.e, Todd Oldham....one of the few real geniuses in fashion, I think.....then there IS garage band cacophony.....to me, this.

Some genres are marked by technically clashing vivid, over-saturated colors, i.e, Folk Art-Primitive, collages rendered by some true artists Hard to explain when & why.

Also remember, FASHION People have scouts in ghettos...given much of the truly original, creative vision stuff originates there! Also ponder how stuff changes: not long ago, the color purple, cept for Barney & that Movie based on that book... was considered declasse. Was once the color of royalty....and NOW back in mainstream favor. Now remember, you were TAKEN aback by the purple border color in the deco rug you posted. So much of this is arbitrary and about commerce...versus from the weft up or that which was indigenous to some actual period in history, OR any true aesthetic. Wut?

Another: I like low rise, tight, boot cut jeans. I will wear nothing else. Commerce, to perpetuate profits a bit ago, tried to foist skinny jeans on the public. Also blazers (not tops) which end at the waist and violate proportion. I find it scary that anyone feels impelled to go along with such. It has nothing to do with personal taste at all. Au courant is mostly a fabrication, pun intended.

But remember, this is a RUG. And not tribal, FLORAL. There is fully realized, elegant busy and rich, then there is chaotic busy leading to psychosis. Generally, busy in design ought preclude busy in colors. Is all ahm sayin.

Chacun a son gout,. RIGHT?

NOTE: My responses were based on the first iamge of the rug. The image depiciting the rug under furniture is whole other thing: soft, gentle, muted. Which is the actual rug? I have no clue.....but when something leads to exploration & discussion, it's always a Goog Thing.
Bonn Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:40:07 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hey Jilly!!

To me this rug evokes something of a compass map in an ocean, direction, choices, possibilities, brightness leading. The kind of thing to spend hours looking at and tracing with the fingers as a young child....kaleidoscope....

Hard to see complete pattern in these photos, though....

"I find it scary that anyone feels impelled to go along with such. It has nothing to do with personal taste at all. Au courant is mostly a fabrication, pun intended."

"Chacun a son gout,. RIGHT?"

OUI! "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." - Gore Vidal. Vidal Sassoon - GENIUS.

"Generally, buys in design ought preclude buys in colors". So funny! I would be more likely to deal with a subpar pattern if the colors were ripe.

That Deco rug was a MEDIUM PLUM in that photo, not royal, ermine-worthy purple, ok? I didn't say I didn't like that rug either. In the context, the color combination and pattern was making a point. Prince is a visionary.

You are so right, it is so fascinating, what accounts for good/bad taste and our individual human responses to such things!

Have a good night, Jilly!!!!
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:15:48 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Wonderful responses. and bottom line, we are each entirely unique; all living beings are! For me, the most breathtaking miraclel of life..

I think, over time, if someone is making a Journey and by reflex....one illuminates inside. So style changes and being who you are becomes more mindless and more authentic.

Most peoples' vision, I now see, is terrifyingly truncated and honed by things they are in no way in touch with at all.

Finally, discerning elements--within rugs or anything else-- is something I am moved to as I get you are as well....but for me, it comes on the heels of music and essence registered almost immedidately. First instinct impacts most. The more arcane, cognitive stuff comes later.

Take the Victorian era, scorned by Old Money fans of Hepplewhite and other,fine, reserved American cabinet makers. I find it boring. All of Victoriana was derivative, stolen from styles of previous eras. Why Renaissance Revival is called Revival. But take the more classically baroque eras within that century.....there is Baroque that works and there is Baroque that is just gratuitous clutter which fragments.

Einstein "EXPERIENCED" the truth of the Universe intuitively. The math, science and physics....the formulaic delineation....followed. Same deal in really gifted medical diagnosticians.

It's infinitely fascinating, U bet!

U have fab evening as well.....tho in different time zone. lol

I luv seekers!!!!!
PS. re this element or that in some chronological ORDER....it is moot: Bottom line, does the thing have integrity & work or does it not? The whys & why nots.....wonderful to explore and share.....that is how we grow and evolve, very heady adventure.....but esp with RUGS, I feel we need to think pragmatically.. esp BIG RUGS.

Think square footage; think mass.

Also remember, colors have energy that is even measurable and they impact both mood and actual brain chemistry! Then, factor that into that we are each unique.