Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Live Auction Still Lures...CHECK IT OUT
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:01:37 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I know....as RugPro says....no level playing field. No place for for anyone not on anabolic steroids; not for the feint of or broken hearted. But I keep looking and I keep seeing Saroouks which remind me of mine. A little. Solution? STOP LOOKING, JILL, you masochistic, naive be-atch.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6112774

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6112773

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6112775

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6113472

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6112784

I like 6113472....and, IT has DECENT THUMBNAILS!

I really like the one above it,6112784.. really like.

I should totally not go here, right? RIGHT????

Why do I feel right now....THIS is where my rug will be? Remember, iNdividual auction houses here, not all have the same policies. Plus, nowhere else do I see such a confluence of vintage Sarouks I LIKE! And, also perhaps go for less than obscenely absurd prices.
I Googled this auction house and found its page and keyed in "Sarouks" I am having palpitations (metaphorically) I think I need to follow up more. I thik ebay is a waste of time. for the rug I want, I mean. I FEEL THIS RIGHT NOW. Pls use the below link & enter the word "sarouk" into the search field on the upper left and hit it. You will get palpitations metaphorically. Then enter wut YOU love and hit it.

Then pls tell me what U think.
http://www.dumouchelle.com/catalog.aspx

Yes, I see.....this above lit from within Sarouk....they show NO EDGE DETAIL. Out of four edges,,,,ZERO. Could have no fringe, lost rows, disintegrating selvege, microbes eating away at it. All I know is I am now, finally EXCITED.

I like all of them in varying degrees. I am sprouting wings! I will settle down when I sleep, and focus. I hope it's soon cause I might MISS MY RUG. But a big WINCH has suddenly arrived and wrenched me from the quicksand of ebay, 1-800 sleazoidcarpet.com (I made that up) and such as therugman whose stuff is the new Lunesta. My opinion, I am sure he does uber business and is the salt of the earth.

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:01:33 PM(UTC)
Groups:

cowardly Update:

OK, re the last above link.....gorgeous (to me) Lilihan from the 20s......I came home and was going to place a bid even with the wear and (OMG) SHOW THREADS, ESP AT ONE END.....but I chickened out. I am a WUS. But... Even factoring in the unknowns, buyer's premium and creep U out shipping unknowns. I have NO idea what repairs cost.....I feel there is something here or about to arrive that has my name on it. My rug is looking for me. It has GPS.

Again, something vintage sarouk, and, like mine, lit from within.

Cause that incredible open field thing which sold at Sotheby's over 10 years ago for over 72K....it's good to dream big. And I learned U can fall in love with an open field rug in one second. I had no clue.

I would rather use some intuition & passion, take a chance and maybe get something from the halcyon days of American sarouks which may be a little wounded that makes me melt.....than go on ruminating over the phone it in, soul-eroding crap I see on ebay. And when it's not crap.....someone with rug eyes like RugPro can often see, OK, hold on now... glitches.

I can tell nobody wants to go there, forget endorse any of this, or end up responsible for my blowing my brains out (lol). Who can blame anyone? It is high wire stuff, no question. BUT, THIS TIME, if I end up a victim, it will have been my choice to risk. See the difference?

High wire, but not AS, as landing an 80 ton, filled to capacity AirBus with no engines....in the Hudson River....INTACT.

I will pray I do not end up PREY. Little joke.:d/
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:34:42 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Update....maybe more of you guys should check out this route to rugs?

Dear Jill
Thank you for signing up to participate in a Live Auction event. You are now authorized to bid on any lot in the following auction:
DuMouchelles January 18th Auction. If you have left any absentee bids, they have now been accepted.

Auction House: DuMouchelles

You can place absentee bids before the auction or come back to bid live during the event. For help on how to place absentee and live bids, please go to:
http://www.liveauctionee...dders/absentee_bid.html

Later today, Sunday, during the actual live auction I could participate!
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:19:44 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Update. I am live in the auction in other browser. My firewall is weeping. This ain nuthin like in movies i.e, people on with phone bidders during live auction. I need an audio track. I need a living human. I guess people get used to this and navigate it and then they can do it.
I thought this would be simple and logical. More later.
RugPro Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:23:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

This rug looks a lot like the Sarouk 1800getarug was calling a Manchester Kashan, No?
RugPro Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:24:57 PM(UTC)

Either a shortened rug, or the cut was something to fix a slightly hooked curve. Otherwise, a repair, I would be wary of this one without asking for more photographs

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6113472
RugPro Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:27:51 PM(UTC)

Jilly, in my experience, it's best to do this:

If you're going to bid on auction rugs which are al sales final, you should really see them in person. The next best thing is to purchase from a trusted online vendor with good pics, or the ability to communicate and return. Other than this, locally is great, although Manhattan you could find some high prices, that's not to say there aren't decent or good deals.

I would be careful of the live auction personally. I would opt for eBay before this, at least there's the chance for return, and sometimes, additional photographs. I'm not saying don't purchase from live auction, but I think it would be a mistake to not see the rug in person. Especially given that Red backgrounds tend to hide the most problems out of all rugs and carpets.
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:31:07 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Pro U would be vary cause YOU ARE SANE, ok? I was going to try for the far more formal than mine but still lit form within kinda wounded Sarouk with $750 reserve. I am sitting here deer in head lites. Let me see if I can uload a screenie....not up to the rugs yet. I see the on site bidders are getting the lots. Cause they can SEE THE ITEMS. and it goes fast, boy.

I know yr comments are accurate. I am flying without a net o the net. hahhah not funny.
Jilly attached the following image(s):
Creeps Me OUT.JPG
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:38:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I thought it wuold be just fabulous cause the on site bidders placing bids having SEEN the sarouks, wuold place more INFORMED bids than I, and I could kinda go on that, get better sense of the condition of the items Was that naive a little? Ok I can learn this. I am quick like bunny learner. Others do this; I can learn it. But maybe not immediately..

Firefox don like running scripts and who can blame it? IE is garbage so it don care. lol
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:47:08 PM(UTC)
Groups:

RugPro wrote:
This rug looks a lot like the Sarouk 1800getarug was calling a Manchester Kashan, No?

I trust this Detroit place, for all its absence of detailed data....more than I trust anything called 1800get anything. I am not sure why, I just DO.
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:58:13 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Some lots don't sell I see. we are still stck in he milkglass plates. Maybe today, I need to rein myself in....I thik I am not yet WORTHY of participating yet. Need to get a better handle on all this. bu the place bid button is RIGHT THERE WAITING.

I Now think I shoOld chill for today and later see what the things I like went for.Not just the wounded Sarok I felt needs me. That will be more learning and will qualify me to participate, if not right this second. I know it's a mine field, but SO IS EBAY, FOR GOD'S SAKE. I think this is more old school auction stuff with old school mines. The ebay field may appear SAFER.....but in its own way, esp buy now rugs fior over 1K.....it ain't that LEVEL, ok? I learned that right HERE. Caveat Emptoring takes work like everytng else.
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:31:57 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Ok right now, this is above my pay grade. I get it now. But I will RAISE my pay grade.....this ain't rocket science. You can feel the on site bidders have clear top bids in their minds. But unlike eBay....this goes warpspeed. Plus, THE INCREMENS are hardly what one gets used to biddwng on ebay. Fair Warning indeed.

Plus I must now start evening site work and the Sarouks are still a long way off. This aucton has a gaizllion lots; the rugs comprise a minute percentage. Something else I did not factor in.....tho I saw it, I didn't GET IT. The time factor.

but last time I looked, around 50 people were participating online. They should do webcam and have SOUND.

But for real.....this place unless it's only this auctin....gets more really lovely Sarouks than other places. I mean ones I like.
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:22:30 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Pro....points taken in yr above, be sane for the following reasons post. i now get I MISSED THE RUGS ALTOGETHER. I thought the lots progressed chronologically. They don't. Plus, while I am working, I tried and I can't see what any went for. I guess it's naive to think they post these things in real time. Tho if you at least get the timing right, you see it all unfold right on yr LCD.

I too trust Joe. Good guy, sharp and interesting. But right now, the only Sarough he is offering which I like even marginally is beyond my budget: http://rover.ebay.com/ro...&mtid=824&kw=lg

Tho I also think, given what I have learned, it's bad buy, esp at a lower offering price. I also do not wanna insult him. But this sarough does ot make my heart leap: the field is cluttered, too florid and the borders are not distinct enough. I find it chaotic. I am sure it is in the condition he posts, but this is not my rug, even beoynd budget issue.

I am now at round 2.....or 1...1 of having to accept what I really want I can not afford, unless I get a luminous like mine, but wounded Sarouk....which I might not mind doin and maybe could afford.. My expectations are becoming more realistic.

It's a journey. I need to learn, and learn patience. Boo hoo!
RugPro Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:43:55 PM(UTC)

#15 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:42:47 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hey! Exactly the one I addressed just above. I know now I can't afford to be picky, Pro.....but my take on this one is as per above. Believe it or not, I would rather get a wounded one which make my heart leap and my soul blossom than one which does not. I do t find it cool, I find it excessiveand scattered. This is the pot calling the rug black. lol tho I am no catered, just many thngs gong on in me every second.....I am good at focusing

Also, I think I am exhausting everyone here and I feel terrible feeling that. I think I should chill---very hard for me, and from birth-- distill what I have learned, keep looking and not burden everyone unfairly with my desperation to get a rug and every acrcane detail along the way. UNTIL I FIND The Rug.

I apologize for this. I guess it's what people call boundaries. But in this community, I will call it BORDERS. lol I need more selveges and fewer fringes. Ha!!!!!
RugPro Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:45:31 PM(UTC)

I like the rugs and comments you bring to the forum. But the forum isn't the best in that it's not so conducive to browsing multiple posts. If you focus on the most important rugs to you, we can focus on comments and suggestions for those. That way we don't spread advise too thin :) Keep it up, everyone here loves rugs and I know I like seeing what other people like and why they like it.
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:33:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi.

1) Just logged of "eveing work" I am exhausted.

2) If you get any kinder, we will have to invent a new species name for you.

3) Soooo.....the rugs U "like" I posted.....does this include the AMY WINEHOUSE RUG? HAHAHAHAHAH Common, rhetorical'facetious can be FUN!!!!

4) Now my rug obession-NEED is important---if not the veritable center of the UNIVERSE; that the Eagles lost means NOTHING, Ok? WHO CARES? Guys have no perspective at all. (winking smilie.)

5) I am now focusing on all these antique, deco, bird of paradise (tho may be a fool's version) machiine made Wilton rugs Joe has.....forget he has sold many, I found his SITE.
http://www.joenevo.net/index.html

They are affordable, I know nothing about them or their value---for once, Google is failing me....and maybe I need more puerile in my life, OK? Perhaps my intense bias toward hand knotted is a DEFICIENCY. Maybe I ought consider these Fred & Ginger Meringues.

Moving right along in the above....during the failed Googlings....I came upon the site of DORIS BLAU. Against whom my late mother hurled invective from my earliest memories. Tho, OK, she did that in general. In retrospect, I am finally seeing, she was not always wrong.

THIS DB SITE..possibly emblematic of the operation itself....rendered by some shallow, pretentious,vapid, unplugged, arch, NEW MONEY webmaster, speaks volumes, I think Its special effects, fading in, fading out, MOUSING OVER to ENLARGE.... Industrial Light and Magic stuff.....the antitheses of forthcoming, does Not HONOR its visitors by presenting relevant data meticulously; it obfuscates... and hence, it is SICKENING, Ok? Shame on you

http://www.dorisleslieblau.com/

It is the stuff of they who hire BAD DECORATORS (OR ANY decorators, let's face it) and need STYLISTS. Heaven save us from a la mode, au courant, cache, the new money sensibility & Architectural Digest. EXPUNGE US of these toxins, GOD!!!!!! Coco Chanel said....people need fashion...when they don't have STYLE. (Not verbatim but close.)

I am being objective, this is not from old wound cause it was she or they who hooked me up with the "HONEST" dealers who came to get my rug.

How can humans buy rugs from other humans who have GALAS?????? I tell ya, it is all FAUST.

I will make every effort to be more organized in my posts. Obsession messes stuff up. All 3 of my active computers are as lean and mean and clean as any on the planet. I will pretend this site is, maybe.... my laptop. lol

RugPro Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:41:04 PM(UTC)

Lol, she does have some unbelievable rugs & they have a tremendous name in the business... There are some really bad ones though. Not going to name them, but they're out there. I sent in an article to dave and he wrapped it up. Has another ferahan like the blair house :)

http://www.rugrag.com/po...nd-Persian-Carpets.aspx
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:48:58 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Ahah!!!! Why, having now seen the site, am I not surprised????? Perhaps the unbelievable ones are serendiptious. Hah! WHOOOO.....is this Dave guy with the integrity who made the trip of the angels to NJ to cleanse and purify and give them at the giant warehouse not comporting every chance to save their wefts????
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:54:22 PM(UTC)
Groups:

O! bless U for the link to the white House rugs!!!!! Amazing. Below is my fav, no surprise, tho my real fav now is that open field puppy that sold for 72K at Sotheby's in 98.. I had no idea a rug could be that perfeclly designed, that singular, dimensional, that compelling without being intrusive.
RugPro Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:55:36 PM(UTC)

lol, thats the one. I can't believe the way the Blau site staged the front page image. what do you think about that?
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:57:27 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Sorry I did quick reply: naturally, my fav is---perhaps was, they have an actual inventory--is in the China Room. It is GLORIOUS!!!!!