Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can You Identify the Licoln Bedroom Rugs?
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:24:28 PM(UTC)
Groups:

During her tenure as First Lady, Laura Bush restored The Lincoln Bedroom, and with impressive fidelity, it appears, from the fabulous, recent C-SPAN series U can see on their website. I recorded it.

Homage to Mary Lincoln's expensive taste and profligacy.....including The infamous Bed (in which one of their sons died, she never went into the room again).....but many splendid items in this fine Victorian room. Not Belter, but nobody need complain I think. That is wicked awesome center table, boy.

In this video, from the brief glimpses of the carpets therein, can anyone identify either? Did they replicate things or are they actual antiques?
http://whitehouse.c-span...om/Lincoln-Bedroom.aspx

Some White house provenance and trivia: each President "designs," orders and puts down his or her own rug in the Oval Room. W was apparently obeseed by his...with sunny yellow "optimism." Din help much, right?

Harry Truman, I recently learned, far more acute 7 detail oriented than I could have known, noticed the eagle centering on these rugs, and in the Presidential seal per se, was facing the arrows. He changed it so the eagle, after 1945, always faces the olive branch.

Many controversies and apocryphal accounts of this chronology of this survive to this day.

As for the upcoming Oval Office rug, rumor has it that The Obamababe will retain the eagle as it is now, facing the olive branch, but in place of the arrows, he will commission a B-Ball net to be woven into the seal on the rug. OK, maybe I made that up :d/

http://www.snopes.com/hi...y/american/turnhead.asp

Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access