Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Let's Place Bets
#1 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 11:23:34 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Just found this place in Conn.....they claim to offer fine antique rugs. Rather handsome Ferahan Sarouk here, circa 1890 (how the hell do they know that? Snuck it into the 19th century ya think?).....9 X 12....in, they say, pristine condition. Terrible image, U can't see nuthin and at my end, the hyper link detail images do not activate.

They do not have the gonads to list prices. Just for laughs, how about I email them about this thing and U guys offer guesses? Hummmm? The winnah gets a car. Nothing cliche, no Benzes, beamers no Jags made by Ford. How about a classic Ferrari perfectly restored? Bet Enzo Ferrari had fabulous rugs

http://www.shrugsgallery.com/persian.cfm

Jilly attached the following image(s):
images_1_large_image.jpg
Sponsor  

Love the Rug Rag Forums?

Register above, then purchase a monthly Forum Pass for Full Access

#2 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 11:58:34 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi again.

I just sent this (I am getting fierce now cause I am more emboldened by having learned a little more and also suffering ignobles less well than ever.) I will not paste their responses (assumig they send some) until all the lovely pundits here hazard guesses. Let's have some fun! Gentlemen....start your engines.

I will guess.... around 13K. This is based on 10 days-2 weeks of eviscerating cramming. But I have no false pride, remembah. lol

Might you share specifics about yr Ferehan Sarouk, item # 927?

1) What percentage of the original pile remains?
2) Is the wear even?
3) Any repairs?
3) Any foundation rot or dryness?
4) Can you possibly send a clearer image? (Your detail links do not activate.)
5) May I see a clear image of the underside at a corner?
6) What are the KPSI?
7) Any color bleeding?
8) Was it painted?
9) Are the selveges intact?
10) How was the age of this rug detemined, if I may ask?
10) What is your asking price?

Thanks much,
Jill.
RugPro Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:00:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administration, Dealers, Member

hmmm Too tough to tell what they want for the sarouk. The interesting thing is how many different floors and photo techniques are seen behind the rugs.
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:09:38 AM(UTC)
Groups:

ANOTHER raeason I like you, Pro....is, you and yr EYE ALWAYS CHALLENGE AND GROW ME! Let me go back and see newly thru yr eyes! But it is handsome, U gotta admit.
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:22:06 AM(UTC)
Groups:

U are right! Terrible pics and no consistency among any, in many cases you can not even enlarge the full views. Although being slick graphically or digitally....hiring a slick webmaster....we see just from ebay....no leading indicator of authenticity, WORTHINESS.... and often, a marker for THE OPPOSITE!!!!

Plus, oddly, this is the only one whose price they list:
Item #KOZ-2
Antique Serapi

Beautiful Serapi with wonderful colors. Great for a large room. Impressive piece.
Size:9.6x13.6 c1890 Perfect condition.

$28,000.00

I think someone there has decided, as long as they list things pre 20th century, legitimately don matter....people will pay more. I believe there is both a state fair and a prison in Danbury. In fact, I am positive. Not that that means anything.

I am gettin this is a ssmall, solitary dealer
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:17:51 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Sat eve update. Nothing yet from Danbury....I showed my naivete by asking if the rug is painted....nobody painted 19th century (not that it is, I think) Ferahans..... U can't emulate savvy when U don't got much, and you shouldn't try, but I did.

I would now like to raise my guess to 14K. In this business...I now see,.U must expect the U must be kidding.. Even in a plummeting economy, and this is only the beginning. I am intensely curious about what they wan and feel they can gett for this rug. That is how I am learning. One of many ways.